WASHINGTON, D.C. – Peace Corps volunteers around the world are helping young people in their local communities develop career skills, build confidence, and become active citizens. To mark Global Youth Service Day, the Peace Corps highlights volunteer projects that expand opportunities for youth and put them on a path to success. Seven percent of Peace Corps volunteers currently work in Youth in Development and another 40 percent of volunteers engage young people as educators.
Observed April 11-13, Global Youth Service Day is the world’s largest service event dedicated to recognizing the contributions that young people make to their communities. An anticipated 1,000 people will participate in the Day of Service on the National Mall, contributing an estimated 3,000 hours of service.
Peace Corps volunteers Kelly and Pete Brands of New Berlin, Wisc., are teaching middle school students in Panama about geography and culture with maps. Twenty of their students recently collaborated to paint a world map on the walls of their middle school library that is serving as an educational tool for teachers and promoting discussions among students about Panama and other parts of the world.
“The maps have facilitated much discussion about the world, including the locations of Panama and the U.S., and the diversity of languages and religions that exist in other parts of the world,” said Kelly, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison who has been living in Panama with her husband since 2012. “Everyone seems to be very proud of the maps and thinks they are a beautiful addition to the library.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- New Berlin Youth Wrestling sets dates for upcoming season
- Weekly United Way Press Release - Volunteer Opportunities
- Autumn Harvest Bowl Disc Golf Event for the Food Pantry of Waukesha County
- St. Martin of Tours - Oktoberfest 2014
- Harvest! Halloween and Harvest Shopping Market is October 3-5 at Hawthorne Hill Farm
- RED HOT MAMA! A Tribute to Sophie Tucker (featuring Becky Spice)
- "Diary of Anne Frank" at Lake Country Playhouse in October
- BSI is Best In Show at STRUT
- ABC News Anchor Dan Harris Featured as Keynote Speaker for 2014 Alverno Community Conference