WASHINGTON, D.C. – Peace Corps volunteers around the world are helping young people in their local communities develop career skills, build confidence, and become active citizens. To mark Global Youth Service Day, the Peace Corps highlights volunteer projects that expand opportunities for youth and put them on a path to success. Seven percent of Peace Corps volunteers currently work in Youth in Development and another 40 percent of volunteers engage young people as educators.
Observed April 11-13, Global Youth Service Day is the world’s largest service event dedicated to recognizing the contributions that young people make to their communities. An anticipated 1,000 people will participate in the Day of Service on the National Mall, contributing an estimated 3,000 hours of service.
Peace Corps volunteers Kelly and Pete Brands of New Berlin, Wisc., are teaching middle school students in Panama about geography and culture with maps. Twenty of their students recently collaborated to paint a world map on the walls of their middle school library that is serving as an educational tool for teachers and promoting discussions among students about Panama and other parts of the world.
“The maps have facilitated much discussion about the world, including the locations of Panama and the U.S., and the diversity of languages and religions that exist in other parts of the world,” said Kelly, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison who has been living in Panama with her husband since 2012. “Everyone seems to be very proud of the maps and thinks they are a beautiful addition to the library.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Alverno College Awarded Two-Year College Ready Grant from Great Lakes
- Dental Exam Often Overlooked as Part of Prenatal Care
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Waukesha WRAP Artist Exhibit Winners heading to State contest
- Adam Busch named to Lawrence University dean's list
- More WAWM Students Opt for AP Exams
- Mom's Concussion Clinic to focus on safe sports play techniques and injury prevention
- Callen Construction Suggests Kitchen Upgrades for Easier Cooking and Cleaning
- Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream at Greendale Gift of Wings!
- Andrew Utic Joins R.A. Smith National as Civil Engineer