New Berlin residents win Days of Sharing donations for nonprofits from Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual, through its Foundation, is announcing grants totaling $6,000 for Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and Vital Voices for Mental Health on behalf of New Berlin residents Rebecca Reynolds and Diep Graham, winners in Northwestern Mutual’s Days of Sharing campaign. The annual program encourages employees to nominate local nonprofits they care deeply about to receive grant funds in their name.
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network will receive a $3,000 grant on behalf of Reynolds, a print team leader in the enterprise solutions department at the Milwaukee-based financial security company.
“Pancreatic cancer is the number four cancer killer and there is no cure or way to diagnose it until it's too late,” said Reynolds. “This grant will fund research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure to pancreatic cancer.”
Vital Voices for Mental Health will receive a $3,000 grant on behalf of Graham, a senior expense management specialist in the financial management department.
“Vital Voices is an advocacy organization for people with mental illness. Oftentimes people with mental illness are not getting help or the right kind of help,” said Graham. “This grant will help ensure that those who are in need will be served.”
More than 770 employees nominated their favorite local nonprofit as part of Days of Sharing this year. The 25 winning grants were chosen at random each day during the week of November 12 and range in size from $1,000 to $10,000.
“Northwestern Mutual employees have a long history of giving back to the community,” said John Kordsmeier, president, Northwestern Mutual Foundation. “This is a unique way for us to recognize and honor the passion that employees like Rebecca and Diep have for strengthening the places where we live and work.”
More than 1,000 Northwestern Mutual employees donate 21,000 hours each year to community volunteer efforts through group activities, mentoring, charity drives, and service on nonprofit boards.
In the program’s five-year history, the Northwestern Mutual Foundation has awarded more than $600,000 in grants on behalf of its employees.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Save the Date for the New Berlin West Pom & Dance Clinic on Nov. 21, 2015
- Help "Build" Holiday Cheer
- Local Contractor on Mission to Educate First Time Homeowners
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- Record Setting Ribbon Cuttings for Muskego Businesses
- Big Z: Unique family meal option from Marcus Theatres
- Harvest! Halloween and Harvest Shopping Market is October 3-5 at Hawthorne Hill Farm
- Fall Harvest Art & Craft Fair-Sat. October 17, 2015
- Brookfield Chamber’s young professionals group, Summit, meets September 29th for “Networking 101”
- New Berlin Girl Wants to Increase Awareness of Poverty and Malnutrition in Guatemala