Reagan Imhoff is a first grader at Ronald Reagan Elementary School in New Berlin. Just like any other first grader, she’s practicing her penmanship, learning math, and playing with friends. But Reagan is not just any first grader- this 6 year old is somewhat of a local celebrity- at least within the walls of Eisenhower High School. The reason- Eisenhower DECA has partnered with Reagan to put on a 5K run/walk to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Reagan has Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and was recently featured on Fox 6 before she appeared on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon as the Wisconsin Goodwill Ambassador for MDA. And her story sparked the interest of senior Kevin Plazak, who is the local DECA vice president of community service. “Reagan inspires people all around her,” Kevin said when the DECA chapter officers sat down this summer to form their strategic plan, which includes several services activities each year.
The 5K Run/Walk on November 12th pays tribute to Reagan’s strength with it’s name, “Race for Reagan”. All of the proceeds from the walk will go to MDA. The walk will start and end on the Eisenhower High School track and the course will wind around the campus. Children ages 6-12 can do their own race, a ¼ mile run around the track for prizes, donated by local area businesses, such as Stonefire Pizza. Participants can also order a race t-shirt, co-sponsored by Mid City Sports (Hartland). Other donors include Buffalo Wild Wings, George Webbs, and Batzner Pest Management, who have helped provide items for the event.
Any community member can register for the race from now up until race day. Pre-registration and presale of the shirts ends on October 30th. Registrants can pay with a check or credit card and can contact DECAraceforreagan@gmail.com for more information or for a registration form.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Gives Nearly $1,500 to Two Schools in Inaugural Donations
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
- So You Think You’re Getting a Good Deal
- THERE WILL BE MUSIC IN THE AIR AT MUSKEGO’S 2014 COUNTRY CHRISTMAS
- Care Right Inc. Brings “Senior Solutions” to Brookfield, Southeastern Wisconsin
- Local Residents Participate in MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET at Sunset Playhouse
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive