David Franke and his fellow Troop 68 Boy Scouts recently completed construction of 10 seating benches donated for use at the New Berlin West High School tennis courts.
David selected the bench construction as his Eagle Scout project for the Troop. "One of our troop's leaders suggested the benches as a good Eagle project," said David. "As a member of the West tennis team, I noticed that seating was very limited, with only a few picnic tables. I thought that if people we're coming to watch the high school matches, they should have a place to sit. Plus, the players need a place to rest before and after their games, while other matches are still going," he continued.
Approval for the project was obtained from the Troop 68 Leadership Committee, the Boy Scouts Potowatomi District Council, and the New Berlin High School adminsitration through atheltic director Jeridon Clark during this past summer.
Another troop leader suggested using a bench frame kit to simplify the project for construction by the scouts, rather than relying on leaders and parents .
David, son of Carol and Randy Franke of New Berlin, commenced the project with fund raising from family, friends, fellow scouts, and families of New Berlin West boys and girls tennis team members. He obtained discounts on materials from Meyer Lumber of New Berlin and Northern Tool & Equipment of West Allis.
The project was completed on two October work days organized by David. "We were really lucky to have great weather for sanding and staining the wood at my house and then assembling the benches a week later at the tennis courts", David said. The benches are engraved with the "N B W" initials painted in the school's royal blue color.
David is shown presenting the benches to New Berlin West principal Blake Peuse, assistant principal and athletic director Jeridon Clark, and tennis coach Heidi Stigler.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Moorland Park Tennis Center adds 8 Pickleball Courts
- New Berlin Resident Promoted by Alverno College
- New Berlin West Boys Basketball Golf Outing
- Restring Your Guitar at Cascio Interstate
- Group Guitar Lessons, Every Monday night in June!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Three Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Circle of Success Recognition
- Summer Basketball Camps for Youth