It was a good week for the New Berlin West softball team as the Vikings went 4-0, including their second win in a week against crosstown rival New Berlin Eisenhower, tying the Lions for first place in the Woodland Conference West.
They opened with a 6-2 win at Pewaukee at May 19, scoring one in the first, three in the third and and two in the fourth to take a 6-0 lead before the Pirates managed two in the fifth inning.
Karissa Harenda got the win, allowed four hits, three walks and fanning eight in a rain-shortened five innings.
Erin Arnas had two hits, a walk and two RBIs, Mallory Klotz scored twice, had a hit, a walk and an RBI, Maddie Minik had a run, a hit, a walk and an RBI and Hannah Just had a hit and an RBI.
Harenda held down the powerful Lions on May 20 at Ike, pitching a complete game for the win. In seven innings, she allowed six hits, four walks, four runs, but only two earned, while striking out seven.
West trailed Ike, 4-2, as the Vikings came up for their final at bat.
Sophomore Abbey Stoltenberg singled on a high chopper to third and was safe on a close play at first to lead off the inning. Arnas walked putting runners at first and second.
Klotz doubled on a 3-2 pitch to the fence in center field scoring Stoltenberg and Arnas moved to third, cutting the lead to 4-3.
Hannah Buth blooped a single to right scoring Arnas to tie the game with Klotz going to third.
Kailey Nealon then singled to center scoring Klotz for the go ahead run.
West managed seven hits off Steffi Lombardo and worked her for five walks, led by Klotz, who scored twice, managed two hits, a walk and an RBI. Buth added two hits, a walk and drove in a run.
They then went to Brown Deer and blew out the Falcons, 14-0, on May 21. West used an 8-run first inning to put the game away early.
Klotz led the 10-hit hit attack with two hits, two walks, three runs scored and two RBIs while Cara Mauermann scored a run, had a hit and drove in three runs.
The Vikings beat Wauwatosa West, 16-1, on May 23. Nealon scored four runs, Buth scored three, Just had four RBIs and Klotz added three runs, two hits and two RBIs.
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower bats come alive against Pewaukee
- New Berlin West baseball team, Greendale tied for first
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team has good season
- Softball: New Berlin Eisenhower's Ali Nowak earns first-team all-state honors
- State Softball: New Berlin West starts fast, holds on, beats New London
- Softball: New Berlin West wins first state softball championship
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team back on winning track
- Girls soccer: New Berlin West girls soccer team nips Lions in semifinal shootout
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team defeats Greenfield, 5-1
- Waukesha West blanks New Berlin West soccer team, 4-0