Lions girls basketball beats Pirates for third time
Fast start keys 47-34 semifinal victory
New Berlin - New Berlin Eisenhower beat Pewaukee, 47-34, at Waukesha South in the WIAA Division 2 sectional semifinal March 7 to advance to the WIAA sectional title game Saturday at Brookfield Central against Pius XI.
The Lions improved to 23-2 while Pewaukee fell to 20-5, with three of the defeats coming at the hands of Eisenhower.
Against Pewaukee the Lions jumped off to an 11-1 lead sparked by six points by Jenny Weiland, a 3-pointer by Sammy Kozlowski and a basket by Erin Ganzke.
They extended that lead to 25-10 at intermission, as Eisenhower held the Pirates without a field goal until talented freshman Abby Gerrits hit a 3 with 4:15 left in the half.
"I was happy the way we played early," Ike coach Gary Schmidt said. "It was important to get out to a big lead."
Eisenhower increased the lead to 40-20 after three quarters, but then stalled in the fourth quarter.
"I was pleased when we got the 20-point lead," Schmidt said, "But then it was like the air went out of the balloon."
The Pirates outscored the Lions, 14-7, in the final period as Eisenhower made only 5-for-14 from the free throw line. The Lions sank 16-for-26 from the free throw line for the game.
Gerrits led all scorers with 17 points, while Weiland had 15 points, Kozlowski added 13 and Ganzke seven.
"We want to win for the seniors," said Kozlowski, a former Lady Pope who transferred to Ike. "We know every game is important the rest of the way, but for them there is no tomorrow."
For Pewaukee, a team without a senior on its active roster, it was an experience to build upon.
"We didn't start out good at all," Pewaukee coach Todd Hansen said. "We put ourselves in a big hole, not scoring a field goal for about 10 minutes to start the game, and that just won't work against anyone, especially a team like Eisenhower.
"Tonight we kept playing hard and actually got the lead cut to 10 points at one point in the fourth quarter," Hansen said. "They never gave up and that's a credit to our kids."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Seven New Berlin skaters join Greendale Ice Force co-op boys hockey team
- Experience, depth make New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team contenders
- Coach Pat Detmer sees improvement for New Berlin co-op wrestling team
- New Berlin West boys basketball team will have their hands full in rugged West Division
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team names Paige Carter MVP
- Hot-shooting New Berlin West girls basketball team romps in season opener
- Coach Heft sees good things for New Berlin boys co-op swimming team
- New Berlin West girls crush Burlington in basketball opener
- New Berlin West girls bring defense to basketball court again
- New Berlin Eisenhower finishes sixth at state swimming meet