New Berlin — Thanks to an impenetrable defense, the New Berlin West girls soccer team entered this week on a roll and alone in first place in the Woodland Conference Blue Division.
West defeated host Whitnall, 2-0, April 20, and visiting South Milwaukee, 3-0, two days later to improve to 6-1 overall and 4-0 in conference as of Monday. The Vikings have posted six straight shutouts since losing their opener, 1-0, in double overtime to Kettle Moraine on March 31.
"We have a six-game winning streak due to the stout play of our defense playing a total of 440 minutes straight without surrendering a goal," West coach Ryan Otten said. "Not only have the defenders and our goal keepers kept the scoreless streak alive, it has been an overall team effort. Everyone has bought into the new system of play this year and is willing to give of themselves for the greater good of the team."
In the 3-0 win over South Milwaukee, West overcame a sloppy first half to score three times in the final 10 minutes. Khay Alwaissi knocked in a left-footed shot on an assist by Kayla Schlitz to snap the score tie in the 70th minute. Three minutes later, Lindsey Cummings finished off an assist by Cayla Holtz with a sliding goal, and in the 76th minute, Cummings fed Katie Hintz for the match's final tally.
Against Whitnall, Hintz scored a pair of first-half goals with assists from Schlitz and Elise Weiss.
West played Woodland Black co-leader Wauwatosa West on Tuesday, hosts Brown Deer on Thursday and hosts its own quadrangular Friday and Saturday. The Vikings play state powers Arrowhead on Friday and Madison Edgewood on Saturday.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Eisenhower baseball team takes home wins against Trojans, Northstars
- Eisenhower's Karvala finds curveball, stops Shorewood
- New Berlin West's Henrichs earns top soccer honors
- New Berlin Eisenhower baseball teams wins 3 in a row
- Peil's hit defeats Cudahy in seventh to give New Berlin West the win
- Sport Shorts: June 18, 2015
- Seniors Erickson, Russell lead New Berlin Eisenhower at state golf
- Muskego boys golf team winds up 15th in D1 state tournament
- Plenty of talent to return for New Berlin West softball team
- Zubke, Jedrzejewski earn top soccer honors for New Berlin Eisenhower