New Berlin — Thanks to an impenetrable defense, the New Berlin West girls soccer team entered this week on a roll and alone in first place in the Woodland Conference Blue Division.
West defeated host Whitnall, 2-0, April 20, and visiting South Milwaukee, 3-0, two days later to improve to 6-1 overall and 4-0 in conference as of Monday. The Vikings have posted six straight shutouts since losing their opener, 1-0, in double overtime to Kettle Moraine on March 31.
"We have a six-game winning streak due to the stout play of our defense playing a total of 440 minutes straight without surrendering a goal," West coach Ryan Otten said. "Not only have the defenders and our goal keepers kept the scoreless streak alive, it has been an overall team effort. Everyone has bought into the new system of play this year and is willing to give of themselves for the greater good of the team."
In the 3-0 win over South Milwaukee, West overcame a sloppy first half to score three times in the final 10 minutes. Khay Alwaissi knocked in a left-footed shot on an assist by Kayla Schlitz to snap the score tie in the 70th minute. Three minutes later, Lindsey Cummings finished off an assist by Cayla Holtz with a sliding goal, and in the 76th minute, Cummings fed Katie Hintz for the match's final tally.
Against Whitnall, Hintz scored a pair of first-half goals with assists from Schlitz and Elise Weiss.
West played Woodland Black co-leader Wauwatosa West on Tuesday, hosts Brown Deer on Thursday and hosts its own quadrangular Friday and Saturday. The Vikings play state powers Arrowhead on Friday and Madison Edgewood on Saturday.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: March 26, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team to lose six seniors to graduation
- New Berlin Eisenhower track team off to strong start
- Plenty of talent returns for New Berlin West softball team
- New Berlin West's Rodriguez named MVP, Scaffidi Most Improved
- New Berlin West's Rayce Albino has great first week for girls track team
- Mattox takes over as New Berlin West boys basketball coach
- Alex Weiss named Marlins MVP
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys return 5 state track qualifiers
- New Berlin West girls basketball team celebrates amazing run