New Berlin — The New Berlin Lakers are in a position to erase the memories of their last visit to the Land O' Lakes Grand Championship.
In 2004, the Lakers lost their final two games of the tournament to the champion Lannon Stonemen. Those two teams will meet at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, at Malone Park in the season finale.
To reach the decisive game, the Lakers needed clutch hitting by Eric Martwick and a complete-game pitching effort by Mike Jacobson in a 4-3 win at Waterford on Sunday.
Martwick, a former New Berlin West star, hit a two-run home run in the seventh inning that put New Berlin ahead, 3-1. Waterford answered with solo runs in the bottom of the seventh and eighth to tie it, 3-3.
In the ninth, Martwick led off with a single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Danny Sayles and scored on Alex McRae's RBI single to left. McRae is a junior at New Berlin Eisenhower.
Jacobson retired the Waterford side in order in the bottom of the ninth on a strikeout and two pop-outs. He allowed two earned runs on 10 hits and three walks with five strikeouts. He picked two runners off first base, the leadoff hitters in both the second and fourth innings.
The Lakers are looking for their first Grand Championship since 1977. New Berlin lost to Lannon, 3-0, earlier in the Grand Championship tournament Sept. 5, but the Stonemen pitcher who shut them out, Eric Rowe, is back at college and likely will not play in the title game.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Dec, 18, 2014
- New Berlin West girls roll over Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Eisenhower girls basketball team beats Greenfield, Shorewod
- Boys basketball: Shorewood has inside edge on Eisenhower
- Eisenhower girls beat Shorewood, 50-32
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 11, 2014
- New Berlin West boys drop 60-58 thriller to North
- 2014 NOW All-Suburban Football Team: David Beshensky, Nathan Erickson earn high honorable mention
- West netters have best season in 20 years
- New Berlin West girls defeat Oostburg, 55-32