New Berlin — The New Berlin Lakers are in the driver's seat of the Land O' Lakes Grand Championships.
The Eastern Division champion Lakers improved to 29-3 overall with a pair of wins during the round robin double elimination tournament that began Saturday.
New Berlin defeated visiting Waterford, 9-3, Saturday behind 10 strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings by Ben Versnik. The Lakers then eliminated host Cedarburg, 5-3, Sunday.
Lannon, the Western Division champs, and Waterford, the Southwest Division champs, have one loss each. The Lakers play Lannon at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. If New Berlin wins, the Lakers would play Waterford on Sept. 13, time and location to be determined.
The Lakers won four divisional playoff games to reach the Grand Championship, downing Waukesha, 8-0; West Allis, 8-6; and Muskego twice, 3-2 and 7-3. It was New Berlin's first division championship since 2004.
The Lakers last Grand Championship came in 1977 when current general manager Wayne Hamilton was manager.
Lakers players from New Berlin include Jason Brunelli, Nick Kelly, Greg Riek, Eric Martwick, Kyle Kalkopf, Ty Johnson, Eric Schrader and Alex McRae, who was recently named to the NOW All-Suburban Baseball Team.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- New Berlin West, Eisenhower kickers eliminated from postseason
- Meleski, Eldien shine at Woodland Conference championship
- New Berlin United wins Woodland Boys volleyball title
- Football: New Berlin West closes year on two-game winning streak
- Football: Messmer/Shorewood ends Eisenhower's playoff hopes
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Big second half gives New Berlin West first win
- Eisenhower nips Greenfield in first crossover game