New Berlin — The New Berlin Lakers are in the driver's seat of the Land O' Lakes Grand Championships.
The Eastern Division champion Lakers improved to 29-3 overall with a pair of wins during the round robin double elimination tournament that began Saturday.
New Berlin defeated visiting Waterford, 9-3, Saturday behind 10 strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings by Ben Versnik. The Lakers then eliminated host Cedarburg, 5-3, Sunday.
Lannon, the Western Division champs, and Waterford, the Southwest Division champs, have one loss each. The Lakers play Lannon at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. If New Berlin wins, the Lakers would play Waterford on Sept. 13, time and location to be determined.
The Lakers won four divisional playoff games to reach the Grand Championship, downing Waukesha, 8-0; West Allis, 8-6; and Muskego twice, 3-2 and 7-3. It was New Berlin's first division championship since 2004.
The Lakers last Grand Championship came in 1977 when current general manager Wayne Hamilton was manager.
Lakers players from New Berlin include Jason Brunelli, Nick Kelly, Greg Riek, Eric Martwick, Kyle Kalkopf, Ty Johnson, Eric Schrader and Alex McRae, who was recently named to the NOW All-Suburban Baseball Team.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin United spikers have dream season
- New Berlin West's Foley faces rebuilding job
- New Berlin West honors several swimmers
- New Berlin West's Madison Tew snares 200 freestyle state championship
- New Berlin West's Hewitt earns first-team all-conference honors
- New Berlin West basketball girls have depth, quickness
- Lesniewski named Eisenhower MVP
- Kozlowski, Brackmann back to lead Lions
- Paige Carter, Bella Passamani lead way for Eisenhower in state swim
- Boys volleyball: New Berlin holds off Appleton North to reach final