New Berlin — The New Berlin Lakers are in the driver's seat of the Land O' Lakes Grand Championships.
The Eastern Division champion Lakers improved to 29-3 overall with a pair of wins during the round robin double elimination tournament that began Saturday.
New Berlin defeated visiting Waterford, 9-3, Saturday behind 10 strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings by Ben Versnik. The Lakers then eliminated host Cedarburg, 5-3, Sunday.
Lannon, the Western Division champs, and Waterford, the Southwest Division champs, have one loss each. The Lakers play Lannon at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. If New Berlin wins, the Lakers would play Waterford on Sept. 13, time and location to be determined.
The Lakers won four divisional playoff games to reach the Grand Championship, downing Waukesha, 8-0; West Allis, 8-6; and Muskego twice, 3-2 and 7-3. It was New Berlin's first division championship since 2004.
The Lakers last Grand Championship came in 1977 when current general manager Wayne Hamilton was manager.
Lakers players from New Berlin include Jason Brunelli, Nick Kelly, Greg Riek, Eric Martwick, Kyle Kalkopf, Ty Johnson, Eric Schrader and Alex McRae, who was recently named to the NOW All-Suburban Baseball Team.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: Feb. 11, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- New Berlin's Jake Belongia, Joey Scaffidi each earn Woodland wrestling championships
- Gerrits keys Pewaukee's win over New Berlin West girls basketball team
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls beat ranked Pius, Waukesha West
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- New Berlin West boys basketball team's Pipik, Cottrell key win over Cudahy
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer nips New Berlin Eisenhower in triple overtime
- Brown Deer hands Eisenhower first loss in 3 OTs, 102-99