New Berlin West High School graduate Beckie Thompson, a freshman at the University of Wisconsin, won the 50-yard freestyle during the Feb.19 Big Ten Conference Swimming and Diving Championships.
Thompson earned the top seed by a comfortable margin with her league-record swim of 22.09 seconds in the prelims and won the event in the finals in 22.26 seconds.
"I'm excited about the finish," said Thompson, who has been the Big Ten leader in the event since December. "I was really excited coming out here for my first Big Tens, getting to see what it is all about.
Thompson has clocked four of the five fastest 50 free times in conference history and is one of only three athletes in league history to go under the 22.30 mark.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team loses to Beaver Dam, crushes Seymour
- New Berlin West girls basketball team improves to 2-1
- Pelikan named New Berlin West girls' Most Valuable Swimmer
- Ice Force skaters split two games in Beloit Memorial Showcase
- Seven New Berlin skaters join Greendale Ice Force co-op boys hockey team
- Experience, depth make New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team contenders
- Coach Pat Detmer sees improvement for New Berlin co-op wrestling team
- New Berlin West boys basketball team will have their hands full in rugged West Division
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team names Paige Carter MVP
- Hot-shooting New Berlin West girls basketball team romps in season opener