New Berlin Eisenhower soccer coach Gary Troy said the 2014 season looks to be another year filled with promise.
You can understand what Troy means since his squad has 12 returnees who will be challenged by players from last's year's strong junior varsity and freshmen teams.
The goalkeeping position looks to be in good hands as Josh Makowski, having some varsity experience from last year, will be pushed by at least three other keepers to be the man between the posts.
Captains Alex Lunde and Alec Stuckart will lead the defense.
"There are a number of upcoming players who will make the defense the strength of our squad," Troy said. "The midfield is well stocked with returning players."
The third captain, Mike Barth, will be instrumental in controlling the flow of play. Other midfielders who return for another varsity season are Collin Imig, Tyler Holentunder, Santi OssaVelandia and Ian Luck.
"With our experience, we look to control the pace of the game," Troy said. "In the attack, we need either Nitish Katta or Mike Tkachuk to step up and be the 'go-to' man who we can count on for scoring."
The season opens Saturday, Aug. 23, at the Muskego Tournament, where a number of top teams will be playing. Muskego is last year's defending D1 state champion.
"In conference play, we expect to be in the thick of the championship hunt," Troy said. "Our opener is against the two-year defending champion and state qualifier Pewaukee. There is the usual dose of tough conference games with Wauwatosa West and New Berlin West heading our big games."
The non-conference schedule is a challenge with highlight games against perennial soccer powers, Homestead and Brookfield Central. Though the schedule is filled with strong competitors, Troy feels his team can hold their own.
"We'll use the strength of our schedule and competitive nature to develop us into a strong team that will be able to make a good run in the state tournament."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower's Carey, Canady stand out in 35-0 rout of Mauston
- Football: Red Knights wear down New Berlin West
- Carey, defense spark New Berlin Eisenhower win
- New Berlin West has new talent, experience
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team second at Falcon Funfest swim meet
- New Berlin West drops back-and-fourth game to Port Washington
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: New Berlin West Vikings
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: New Berlin Eisenhower Lions
- Eisenhower returning experienced tennis team
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimmers looking for improvement