Seven local soccer players will get the opportunity to play together for a college coach with a New Berlin connection.
The MSOE soccer team will welcome four New Berlin Eisenhower and three New Berlin West kickers.
The team is coached by Milwaukee's own Jimmy Banks with his son, Dee, as his assistant. Both Jimmy and Dee were involved with the New Berlin Soccer Club for many years, which may be why they have recruited so many of their former youth players.
Former Eisenhower players Nicholas Dobernig, Michael Perez, Matt Rakowski and Andrew Swiecichowski will join West players Matthew Rink, Tim Rink and Brock Shilling this fall.
Banks had special praise for Rakowski, a defender and midfielder for Whitefish Bay SC.
"Matt is a very intelligent soccer player who makes great tactical decisions," Banks said. "He defends well and doesn't hesitate to get into the attack."
Another familiar face to Raider soccer is Rink, whose older brother, Matthew, is in his third year at MSOE. Tim, a defender for the Vikings, is a two-time all-conference performer.
— Tom "Sky" Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: Feb. 11, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- New Berlin's Jake Belongia, Joey Scaffidi each earn Woodland wrestling championships
- Gerrits keys Pewaukee's win over New Berlin West girls basketball team
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls beat ranked Pius, Waukesha West
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- New Berlin West boys basketball team's Pipik, Cottrell key win over Cudahy
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer nips New Berlin Eisenhower in triple overtime
- Brown Deer hands Eisenhower first loss in 3 OTs, 102-99