Pitcher Alec Nelson pitched well for the Shorewood baseball team in the Greyhounds' 2-0 season-ending WIAA regional semifinal loss to West Bend West on Tuesday, July 15, allowing only two hits.
But he would have needed to have been a miracle worker to somehow manage a win against the powerful Spartans, whose Jake Kopp struck out 14 Greyhounds, issuing only two walks in the process and also allowing just two hits.
"He (Kopp) threw a lot of high fastballs and we found ourselves chasing them, thinking we could catch up but we couldn't," said Greyhound coach Josh Lemke. "He also had a nice little breaking ball, which he didn't use a lot, but it set up his fastball well."
The loss closed the Shorewood season at 9-13 as West Bend West went on to face Arrowhead in a regional final on Friday, July 18. Sectional action was back at Whitefish Bay on Monday, July 21.
Lemke was pleased with the overall effort. Nelson (seven strikeouts and six walks) struggled with his control a bit but he managed to limit the damage. The defense backed him up well, committing only one error.
That miscue led directly to West's first run of the game in the second. The second run scored in the sixth after a wild pitch.
"We played a lot cleaner this week," Lemke said, "and with a lot more energy. We fought hard right until the end."
What helped that feel and energy, said Lemke, is that the game was played at West's old, historic Regner Park, which for many years hosted the state summer baseball tournament.
"It gave the game a pretty cool, classic feel," said Lemke. "This was a nice game, a classic pitcher's duel. They just had more opportunities than we did. They actually missed out on a couple of suicide squeezes.
"Alec (Nelson) did a really good job. He was lights out most of the night."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Dec, 18, 2014
- New Berlin West girls roll over Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Eisenhower girls basketball team beats Greenfield, Shorewod
- Boys basketball: Shorewood has inside edge on Eisenhower
- Eisenhower girls beat Shorewood, 50-32
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 11, 2014
- New Berlin West boys drop 60-58 thriller to North
- 2014 NOW All-Suburban Football Team: David Beshensky, Nathan Erickson earn high honorable mention
- West netters have best season in 20 years
- New Berlin West girls defeat Oostburg, 55-32