It took New Berlin West's girls soccer team a while to get their week started, but when they got going, it was a successful week.
The Vikings soccer team opened the week with an 8-1 win over Greenfield on May 1 at home and then won their own Mike Dillett Tournament on May 2-3.
The Vikings took a 4-1 lead at halftime against Greenfield as Lexi Porter scored three times, once in the first half and then the first two goals of the second half.
Jenna Brzeski also had a big day with a goal and two assists, and Morgan Knuese scored a goal and added an assist.
Other goals went to Morgan Henrichs, Aubrey Tarmann and Alyssa Pastrich. Tina Bedwell had the other assist.
West went 2-0-1 to win the Mike Dillett Tournament.
The Vikings tied Waukesha South, 2-2, on May 2, getting first-half goals from Brzeski and Porter for a 2-1 lead. The Blackshirts tied the game with a penalty kick with five minutes left.
"It is always fun to play neighboring schools like Waukesha South," said New Berlin West coach Adam Bell. "They played a great game and showed the talent that they have on the field. It was a great game to be a part of."
West's varsity beat the Vikings No. 2 team, 6-0, in the first game May 3, as Brzeski had three goals and Aubrey Tarmann added two. Knuese scored the final goal, and Bedwell handed out two assists.
West then blanked Milwaukee Lutheran, 3-0, as Porter scored three minutes into the match for a 1-0 halftime lead and then scored three minutes into the second half off a penalty kick for a 2-0 advantage. Bedwell added the final goal in the 64th minute.
"I'm really proud of how our girls played this last week," Bell said. "We had a lot of games with some tough field and weather conditions. They focused on what they could control and played hard.
"The girls played well and deserved to win. Our seniors really stepped it up and set the tone for the weekend. Whenever you play multiple games over a couple days, the depth of your team really shows. This weekend we got great contributions from everyone.
"I'd also like to thank all of the parents that helped out to make our tournament possible."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin West football team beats Cudahy for first victory of season
- New Berlin tennis seasons come to a close
- Football: New Berlin Eisenhower's Joey Scaffidi keys win over Greenfield
- New Berlin West wins first tennis title since 1986
- New Berlin West boys soccer team beats Wilmot in final game of own tourney
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 1, 2015
- Football: New Berlin Eisenhower rolls over Pewaukee
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team wins Woodland Conference Relays
- Football: Jordan Canady, Eisenhower football win battle of New Berlin with ease
- New Berlin Eisenhower football team routs Pius for two wins in a row