It took New Berlin West's girls soccer team a while to get their week started, but when they got going, it was a successful week.
The Vikings soccer team opened the week with an 8-1 win over Greenfield on May 1 at home and then won their own Mike Dillett Tournament on May 2-3.
The Vikings took a 4-1 lead at halftime against Greenfield as Lexi Porter scored three times, once in the first half and then the first two goals of the second half.
Jenna Brzeski also had a big day with a goal and two assists, and Morgan Knuese scored a goal and added an assist.
Other goals went to Morgan Henrichs, Aubrey Tarmann and Alyssa Pastrich. Tina Bedwell had the other assist.
West went 2-0-1 to win the Mike Dillett Tournament.
The Vikings tied Waukesha South, 2-2, on May 2, getting first-half goals from Brzeski and Porter for a 2-1 lead. The Blackshirts tied the game with a penalty kick with five minutes left.
"It is always fun to play neighboring schools like Waukesha South," said New Berlin West coach Adam Bell. "They played a great game and showed the talent that they have on the field. It was a great game to be a part of."
West's varsity beat the Vikings No. 2 team, 6-0, in the first game May 3, as Brzeski had three goals and Aubrey Tarmann added two. Knuese scored the final goal, and Bedwell handed out two assists.
West then blanked Milwaukee Lutheran, 3-0, as Porter scored three minutes into the match for a 1-0 halftime lead and then scored three minutes into the second half off a penalty kick for a 2-0 advantage. Bedwell added the final goal in the 64th minute.
"I'm really proud of how our girls played this last week," Bell said. "We had a lot of games with some tough field and weather conditions. They focused on what they could control and played hard.
"The girls played well and deserved to win. Our seniors really stepped it up and set the tone for the weekend. Whenever you play multiple games over a couple days, the depth of your team really shows. This weekend we got great contributions from everyone.
"I'd also like to thank all of the parents that helped out to make our tournament possible."
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team sweeps rival New Berlin West
- Baseball: Division title slips away from New Berlin West baseball team