South Milwaukee snapped a six-game winning streak for New Berlin Eisenhower's softball team May 2, but then the Lions exploded the next day and went 3-0 in the Germantown Tournament.
Ike outscored the opposition in the tourney, 31-15, as they whipped West Bend West, 11-2, Muskego, 11-10, and Germantown, 9-3, to win.
The Lions had nine homers on the day — Steffi Lombardo had three; Katie Schlegel and Andrea Leder had two each; and Ali Nowak and Riley Rossbach each slammed one.
The Lions led 3-1 through three innings against the Warhawks in the title game, before breaking the game open with a 4-run fourth inning as Schlegel and Lombardo each slammed a 2-run homer in the frame.
Germantown left the bases loaded in the sixth, left two on in the fourth and a runner on second in the fifth, but Schlegel battled for the win. Schlegel walked four and fanned six while tossing a 7-inning complete game.
Schlegel also scored three runs, had three hits and drove in three runs; Lombardo scored twice, had three hits and drove in three runs; and Nowak added three RBIs.
The closest game was an 11-10 win over Muskego, which was won when Rossbach slammed a 3-run homer in a 4-run sixth inning to overcome a 10-7 deficit. That was one of four homers against Muskego.
Schlegel scored once, had two hits and two RBIs, while Lombardo scored twice, had a hit and an RBI.
The Lions broke open a 5-1 game with a 3-run fourth inning in the opening 11-2 win over West Bend West.
Lombardo pitched a 7-inning complete game, walking two and fanning seven.
Leder scored three times, had three hits and three RBIs, while Lombardo scored once, had three hits and three RBIs.
Ike had opened the week on May 2, losing to South Milwaukee, 5-0, as the Rockets scored three in the first and two in the third to secure the win.
Nowak had two hits for the Lions, while Schlegel deserved a better fate in getting a complete-game loss, allowing three walks and six strikeouts. Abby Mahsem didn't walk a batter and struck 11 to spark the Warriors' win.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin West's Madison Tew snares 200 freestyle state championship
- New Berlin West's Hewitt earns first-team all-conference honors
- New Berlin West basketball girls have depth, quickness
- Lesniewski named Eisenhower MVP
- Kozlowski, Brackmann back to lead Lions
- Paige Carter, Bella Passamani lead way for Eisenhower in state swim
- Boys volleyball: New Berlin holds off Appleton North to reach final
- Boys volleyball: Even after heartbreaking loss in state final, New Berlin proud of run
- New Berlin boys volleyball falls in state-title match
- Boys volleyball: New Berlin United catch fire in fourth, reach state semis