South Milwaukee snapped a six-game winning streak for New Berlin Eisenhower's softball team May 2, but then the Lions exploded the next day and went 3-0 in the Germantown Tournament.
Ike outscored the opposition in the tourney, 31-15, as they whipped West Bend West, 11-2, Muskego, 11-10, and Germantown, 9-3, to win.
The Lions had nine homers on the day — Steffi Lombardo had three; Katie Schlegel and Andrea Leder had two each; and Ali Nowak and Riley Rossbach each slammed one.
The Lions led 3-1 through three innings against the Warhawks in the title game, before breaking the game open with a 4-run fourth inning as Schlegel and Lombardo each slammed a 2-run homer in the frame.
Germantown left the bases loaded in the sixth, left two on in the fourth and a runner on second in the fifth, but Schlegel battled for the win. Schlegel walked four and fanned six while tossing a 7-inning complete game.
Schlegel also scored three runs, had three hits and drove in three runs; Lombardo scored twice, had three hits and drove in three runs; and Nowak added three RBIs.
The closest game was an 11-10 win over Muskego, which was won when Rossbach slammed a 3-run homer in a 4-run sixth inning to overcome a 10-7 deficit. That was one of four homers against Muskego.
Schlegel scored once, had two hits and two RBIs, while Lombardo scored twice, had a hit and an RBI.
The Lions broke open a 5-1 game with a 3-run fourth inning in the opening 11-2 win over West Bend West.
Lombardo pitched a 7-inning complete game, walking two and fanning seven.
Leder scored three times, had three hits and three RBIs, while Lombardo scored once, had three hits and three RBIs.
Ike had opened the week on May 2, losing to South Milwaukee, 5-0, as the Rockets scored three in the first and two in the third to secure the win.
Nowak had two hits for the Lions, while Schlegel deserved a better fate in getting a complete-game loss, allowing three walks and six strikeouts. Abby Mahsem didn't walk a batter and struck 11 to spark the Warriors' win.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Eisenhower baseball team had 'successful' year, Vahovick says
- Area baseball teams eschewing hand signals for quarterback-style numbers game (2)
- New Berlin West's Radtke commits to Lake Superior State
- New Berlin West's Fritz tosses 3-hitter but drops 2-1 decision to West Allis Hale
- Baseball: Whitnall edges Eisenhower in wild extra-inning WIAA regional contest
- Baseball: Hale nips New Berlin West, 2-1, in regional opener
- Eisenhower baseball team goes 3-0 in Woodland consolation bracket
- New Berlin West only wins once in Woodland championship bracket
- Lombardo, Nowak earn NOW All-Suburban honors
- Sports Notes: July 9, 2015