South Milwaukee snapped a six-game winning streak for New Berlin Eisenhower's softball team May 2, but then the Lions exploded the next day and went 3-0 in the Germantown Tournament.
Ike outscored the opposition in the tourney, 31-15, as they whipped West Bend West, 11-2, Muskego, 11-10, and Germantown, 9-3, to win.
The Lions had nine homers on the day — Steffi Lombardo had three; Katie Schlegel and Andrea Leder had two each; and Ali Nowak and Riley Rossbach each slammed one.
The Lions led 3-1 through three innings against the Warhawks in the title game, before breaking the game open with a 4-run fourth inning as Schlegel and Lombardo each slammed a 2-run homer in the frame.
Germantown left the bases loaded in the sixth, left two on in the fourth and a runner on second in the fifth, but Schlegel battled for the win. Schlegel walked four and fanned six while tossing a 7-inning complete game.
Schlegel also scored three runs, had three hits and drove in three runs; Lombardo scored twice, had three hits and drove in three runs; and Nowak added three RBIs.
The closest game was an 11-10 win over Muskego, which was won when Rossbach slammed a 3-run homer in a 4-run sixth inning to overcome a 10-7 deficit. That was one of four homers against Muskego.
Schlegel scored once, had two hits and two RBIs, while Lombardo scored twice, had a hit and an RBI.
The Lions broke open a 5-1 game with a 3-run fourth inning in the opening 11-2 win over West Bend West.
Lombardo pitched a 7-inning complete game, walking two and fanning seven.
Leder scored three times, had three hits and three RBIs, while Lombardo scored once, had three hits and three RBIs.
Ike had opened the week on May 2, losing to South Milwaukee, 5-0, as the Rockets scored three in the first and two in the third to secure the win.
Nowak had two hits for the Lions, while Schlegel deserved a better fate in getting a complete-game loss, allowing three walks and six strikeouts. Abby Mahsem didn't walk a batter and struck 11 to spark the Warriors' win.
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team drops pair to Tosa West
- Long-tenured sports writer Sky Skibosh heads into retirement, sort of
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team sits at top of Woodland West
- Girls soccer: New Berlin West girls soccer team finishes one win from state in Drago's first year
- Softball: New Berlin West's outstanding softball season ends with state title
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower bats come alive against Pewaukee
- New Berlin West baseball team, Greendale tied for first
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team has good season
- Softball: New Berlin Eisenhower's Ali Nowak earns first-team all-state honors
- State Softball: New Berlin West starts fast, holds on, beats New London