Lombardo, Schlegel to lead New Berlin Eisenhower softball
Ike seeks to defend as West Division champs
New Berlin Eisenhower veteran softball coach Jeff Setz has four all-conference players returning from last year's 16-4 team that won the Woodland West Division with an 8-1 record.
Leading the way is one of the state's top hitters, first baseman Steffi Lombardo, who banged out eight homers and drove in 38 runs and was a first-team all-conference choice.
Joining her were Katie Schlegel, a first-team choice with 30 runs scored, 12 doubles and nine stolen bases, and honorable mention selections Ali Nowak and Cassie Majinski.
Schlegel and Lombardo are expected to pitch and also play shortstop when the other one is pitching.
"They are both coming off great offensive sophomore seasons, so we are expecting them to also lead us offensively as well as defensively," Setz said.
Setz returns six letter winners, two seniors, two juniors and two sophomores. Letter winners from last year are seniors Anthie Katris and Majinski, juniors Lombardo and Schlegel and sophomores Andrea Leder and Nowak.
"We are looking for senior leadership from Anthie Katris and Cassie Majinski, who are returning starters," Setz said. "We need to find a couple of outfielders and infielders, but there appears to be some players who are ready to step up and fill those positions."
Setz said he also has 10 promising newcomers to draw from.
Seniors Amanda Danihel and Courtney Wenzel, juniors Lexi Barnes, Kim Bonnema, Carly Loewus, Maggie Meyer, Lexi Prei and sophomores Riley Rossbach, Vasi Katris, Chloe Janich and Stacy Grabowski.
Games with Greendale, Pewaukee and Waukesha West were canceled for this week.
Setz then crossed his fingers and talked about the crazy spring weather in Wisconsin.
"We are looking forward to some warmer weather, so we can get outdoors and play some games soon," he said. "I think I am speaking for everyone in Wisconsin when it comes to the anticipation of some nice weather."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Sharpshooting Sirek leads New Berlin Eisenhower boys to victory
- New Berlin West girls basketball team plays well, earns split in WC
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls pull away from Pewaukee in fourth quarter
- Girls basketball: Fourth-quarter explosion lifts Lions to big win
- Big plays key New Berlin Eisenhower girls' win over West
- New Berlin West boys can't overcome slow start against Eisenhower
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team beats South but loses to East
- New Berlin Eisenhower wins Oshkosh West tourney