Lombardo, Schlegel to lead New Berlin Eisenhower softball
Ike seeks to defend as West Division champs
New Berlin Eisenhower veteran softball coach Jeff Setz has four all-conference players returning from last year's 16-4 team that won the Woodland West Division with an 8-1 record.
Leading the way is one of the state's top hitters, first baseman Steffi Lombardo, who banged out eight homers and drove in 38 runs and was a first-team all-conference choice.
Joining her were Katie Schlegel, a first-team choice with 30 runs scored, 12 doubles and nine stolen bases, and honorable mention selections Ali Nowak and Cassie Majinski.
Schlegel and Lombardo are expected to pitch and also play shortstop when the other one is pitching.
"They are both coming off great offensive sophomore seasons, so we are expecting them to also lead us offensively as well as defensively," Setz said.
Setz returns six letter winners, two seniors, two juniors and two sophomores. Letter winners from last year are seniors Anthie Katris and Majinski, juniors Lombardo and Schlegel and sophomores Andrea Leder and Nowak.
"We are looking for senior leadership from Anthie Katris and Cassie Majinski, who are returning starters," Setz said. "We need to find a couple of outfielders and infielders, but there appears to be some players who are ready to step up and fill those positions."
Setz said he also has 10 promising newcomers to draw from.
Seniors Amanda Danihel and Courtney Wenzel, juniors Lexi Barnes, Kim Bonnema, Carly Loewus, Maggie Meyer, Lexi Prei and sophomores Riley Rossbach, Vasi Katris, Chloe Janich and Stacy Grabowski.
Games with Greendale, Pewaukee and Waukesha West were canceled for this week.
Setz then crossed his fingers and talked about the crazy spring weather in Wisconsin.
"We are looking forward to some warmer weather, so we can get outdoors and play some games soon," he said. "I think I am speaking for everyone in Wisconsin when it comes to the anticipation of some nice weather."
- Muskego and New Berlin Sports Shorts: May 26
- Eisenhower boys win Woodland tennis title
- SOFTBALL: New Berlin West wins third conference title in six years
- Boys track and field: New Berlin Eisenhower boys capture Woodland title
- Baseball: Eisenhower, New Berlin West baseball teams have different expectations
- Grade school basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower seventh-grade boys basketball team wins D2 state title
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- Softball: Eisenhower softball teams bounces back with two big wins
- Softball: New Berlin West wins two Woodland softball games