Kozlowski keys Lions' third win over West
Eisenhower moves on to face Pewaukee on Saturday night
New Berlin Eisenhower defeated New Berlin West, 53-43, and junior guard Sammy Kozlowski was the big difference in the victory at Eisenhower.
Eisenhower (17-6) plays at Pewaukee (21-2) at 7 p.m. Saturday in the WIAA regional final. The Pirates whipped Waukesha North, 59-36, Friday night to advance.
After scoring only five points in three quarters, Kozlowski scored seven of Ike's 15 points in the final period to hold off the aggressive Vikings (16-7). She had one basket and was 5-for-8 from the free throw lines as the Vikings had to foul to try and get back in the game.
Eisenhower led 17-7 after one quarter and 26-18 at halftime, but the Vikings kept hanging in there. The lead stayed at eight (38-30) going into the fourth quarter.
The Vikings then made a run to cut the lead to 40-36 with 5:57 left in the game as Ali Boldt scored on a drive, Jenna Nelson put back a rebound and Anne Radtke banked in a jumper.
But Eisenhower then hit 7-of-8 free throws. Jessa Hahn was 1-for-2, Kozlowski was 4-for-4, and Sydney Cheung was 2-for-2 to take a 47-36 lead and put the game away.
West's Sarah Meleski, laying on the court, then passed to Rachel Novotny for a basket to cut the lead to 47-38, but Ike closed out with 6-of-10 free throws while West managed a 3-pointer by Claire Radtke and a layup by Boldt.
Six players scored in double figures, four for Ike - Kozlowski (12), Hahn (11), Chelsea Brackmann (11) and Emalie Hahn (10). Novotny (11) and Anne Radtke (10) led West.
The Lions beat the Vikings three times, but each win was a battle.
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team drops pair to Tosa West
- Long-tenured sports writer Sky Skibosh heads into retirement, sort of
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team sits at top of Woodland West
- Girls soccer: New Berlin West girls soccer team finishes one win from state in Drago's first year
- Softball: New Berlin West's outstanding softball season ends with state title
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower bats come alive against Pewaukee
- New Berlin West baseball team, Greendale tied for first
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team has good season
- Softball: New Berlin Eisenhower's Ali Nowak earns first-team all-state honors
- State Softball: New Berlin West starts fast, holds on, beats New London