New Berlin Eisenhower snapped a 2-game losing streak, beating Wauwatosa West, 70-60, thanks to a fourth quarter rally, at Ike on Friday.
Leading 49-47 going into the fourth quarter, Tosa West couldn't hit a basket and the Trojans couldn't stop the Lions, who opened with an 8-0 run. Brett Uelner scored on a drive, Nick Ganzke on a fastbreak and then Reed Timmer scored on an in-bounds play and two free throws for a 57-47 lead and the Trojans never recovered.
Timmer was pretty much guarded 1-on-1 and he finished with 28 points, which included 14-for-15 from the free throw line, including 10-for-11 in the fourth quarter as the officials turned the game into a free throw contest.
When Timmer, Ike's all-time leading scorer, scored on a drive with 6:50 in the first quarter, it was his 2,000th career point.
Uelner added 17 points and Jack Sirek tossed in 10, including two 3-pointers to give the Lions some balance.
Andre Carroll had 27 points, scoring several of his points on drives to the hoop. Steffan Brown added 12 points and Zach Veit 11, as the latter hounded Timmer most of the night and had 9 points in the first half.
Ike led 18-11 after one, but then Carroll scored 10 points and Veit seven as West went on a 22-13 tear to take a 33-31 lead into intermission.
Eisenhower went to the line 24 times and they sank an amazing 22 of their attempts. West managed to go 5-for-9.
Eisenhower (12-3, 16-4) stayed tied with Pius XI (12-3) and the Lions travel to Pewaukee (10-5) on Tuesday. West (10-5) plays a non-conference game with crosstown rival Tosa East on Saturday and then hosts New Berlin West (2-14) on Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Eisenhower boys basketball team lacks experience
- New Berlin United spikers have dream season
- New Berlin West's Foley faces rebuilding job
- New Berlin West honors several swimmers
- New Berlin West's Madison Tew snares 200 freestyle state championship
- New Berlin West's Hewitt earns first-team all-conference honors
- New Berlin West basketball girls have depth, quickness
- Lesniewski named Eisenhower MVP
- Kozlowski, Brackmann back to lead Lions
- Paige Carter, Bella Passamani lead way for Eisenhower in state swim