New Berlin Eisenhower's new football coach will be familiar with not only the players on his team but the athletes coming up through the system.
Matt Kern, a marketing teacher at Eisenhower High School since 2012, is the fourth head coach in Eisenhower's storied 45-year history, and he has spent the past six years as the president of the New Berlin Eisenhower Generals Football Program.
Kern has also served as head coach of the eighth-grade team, which won the past two league championships, going undefeated each year.
During the 2008 and 2009 seasons, Kern served as defensive coordinator for the Lions freshmen team, which had a cumulative record of 12-2.
In addition to coaching football, he has also served as the freshmen basketball coach at Eisenhower for the past three seasons.
Kern, a 1995 graduate of Eisenhower, earned degrees in both marketing and management at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2005, he earned his teaching certification from Concordia University and later earned his administrative certification from Concordia in 2013.
"An extremely well-respected member of the New Berlin Eisenhower community, coach Kern has created unprecedented success and enthusiasm within the New Berlin Eisenhower Generals program," said Kevin Fitzgerald, athletic and activities director, when announcing the hiring.
"I truly believe there is not another individual who will put more heart and passion into the Ike football program. He bleeds purple and gold, and his energy and passion is contagious."
Fitzgerald also pointed out that in addition to the success Kern has on the field, his main focus has always been on creating a positive experience for each student athlete.
"His ability to drive each athlete to be committed to the 'team' philosophy is exactly what we were looking for," he said. "As an Ike alum, I'm excited for coach Kern to carry on the proud tradition of Eisenhower football, and build a new era of success."
Kern was pleased with taking over the Lions varsity program.
"I cannot express how honored and excited I am to have the opportunity to be the next head football coach at Eisenhower," he said. "Having been a part of this program as a player, as an assistant coach at the high school level, and as a coach and administrator with our youth program, words cannot express the gratitude I feel for the trust that has been placed in me to lead this program.
"I know firsthand what a great football tradition there is at this school and in this community, and I look forward to helping to continue that success in the years ahead."
Kern also gave credit to former coach Jeff Setz.
"I would like to also give a special mention to my coach and mentor, coach Jeff Setz, for his role in helping me to reach this point," he said. "And I look forward to his support as I begin this journey."
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team exceeded expectations
- Girls basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team wins summer tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition