The New Berlin West girls used excellent defense to defeat Shorewood, 31-27, on Friday on the road to improve to 12-3 overall and 8-3 in the rugged Woodland Conference West Division.
The Vikings held the Greyhounds to four points in the first quarter and then shut them out in the second period. Unfortunately, the Vikings only scored five and nine points to lead 14-4 at halftime.
West coach Jef Radtke, who isn't much for superlatives, commented on his team's excellence defensive performance.
"I guess you can say we played pretty good 'D,'" he said. "Yeah, we D'ed it up pretty well.
"We struggled to score in both halves, but we did enough to give ourselves some breathing room. Shorewood is vastly improved and they played well."
The offense improved in the second half, as the team battled to a 12-12 third quarter as West took a 26-16 lead into the fourth quarter. The good first half helped hold up the lead, as the Greyhounds had an 11-5 final period, but it was too little, too late.
Seven Vikings scored, but junior Rachel Novotny led the way with 11 points.
"Rachel has been a cornerstone for us," Radtke said. "She played well. She is good at taking advantage of her shots inside. She is a hard rebounder.
"But she is unique because she can guard inside and the run outside and guard. She has done a wonderful job for us."
No one had more than sophomore Claire Radtke's five points. Sophomore Jada Stackhouse had 18 to lead Shorewood.
Sophomores Sarah Meleski and Lizzie Liska each had four points, senior Anne Radtke had three and junior Nicole Holstein and senior Cheyenne Pasdera each had a basket.
The Vikings faced Mukwonago (12-5) of the Classic 8 on Tuesday now travel to first-place Pewaukee (15-0, 10-0) on Friday. They then host Greendale (7-7, 5-5) on Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First JOLO Soccer Academy a success
- Muskego baseball team improves steadily in 2014 campaign
- New Berlin West finishes baseball season on strong note
- New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins regional championship
- New Berlin Track and Field Day
- Mials McMurray, West Allis Hale pull away from Bulldogs in regional
- Grafton's Lukas throws no-hitter at Nicolet in regional baseball loss
- West pitcher Kopp overpowers Shorewood in regional baseball loss
- Arrowhead pitching too much for Brown Deer in regional baseball loss
- New Berlin West baseball ends season in regional final