New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball earns first victory
Lions' defense keys win over South Milwaukee
It took them awhile, but when the New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team won their first game of the year, it didn't matter who they defeated.
The Lions used good defense to hold down winless South Milwaukee, 42-9, not allowing the Rockets more than four points in a quarter.
Eisenhower outscored South Milwaukee, 21-2, in the first half and were leading 36-5 going into the fourth quarter.
Amazingly, six players scored the Rockets' nine points, topped by Audrey Repa, whose 3-pointer made her South Milwaukee's top scorer.
Celsea Brackman led all scorers with 19 points, while Ashley Hoffmeister added seven and Sammy Kozlowski added six.
"We are a young team and we're trying to develop kids and show them what winning is about," coach Gary Schmidt said. "We harp on that. We want them to go out and take care of business. We have to get the young kids to believe and they started to believe on Friday."
Schmidt and his staff set three goals for his team and they made all three.
"We wanted to win, first of all," he said. "We wanted to hold them under 30 and we wanted to have less than 15 turnovers.
"We played hard for 32 minutes. We haven't turned the corner yet, but we're getting there."
The Lions, who played Brown Deer on Dec. 17, play at Greendale on Dec. 20 and then play at Wilmot on Dec. 27 in a non-conference game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Eisenhower baseball team had 'successful' year, Vahovick says
- Area baseball teams eschewing hand signals for quarterback-style numbers game (2)
- New Berlin West's Radtke commits to Lake Superior State
- New Berlin West's Fritz tosses 3-hitter but drops 2-1 decision to West Allis Hale
- Baseball: Whitnall edges Eisenhower in wild extra-inning WIAA regional contest
- Baseball: Hale nips New Berlin West, 2-1, in regional opener
- Eisenhower baseball team goes 3-0 in Woodland consolation bracket
- New Berlin West only wins once in Woodland championship bracket
- Lombardo, Nowak earn NOW All-Suburban honors
- Sports Notes: July 9, 2015