New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball earns first victory
Lions' defense keys win over South Milwaukee
It took them awhile, but when the New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team won their first game of the year, it didn't matter who they defeated.
The Lions used good defense to hold down winless South Milwaukee, 42-9, not allowing the Rockets more than four points in a quarter.
Eisenhower outscored South Milwaukee, 21-2, in the first half and were leading 36-5 going into the fourth quarter.
Amazingly, six players scored the Rockets' nine points, topped by Audrey Repa, whose 3-pointer made her South Milwaukee's top scorer.
Celsea Brackman led all scorers with 19 points, while Ashley Hoffmeister added seven and Sammy Kozlowski added six.
"We are a young team and we're trying to develop kids and show them what winning is about," coach Gary Schmidt said. "We harp on that. We want them to go out and take care of business. We have to get the young kids to believe and they started to believe on Friday."
Schmidt and his staff set three goals for his team and they made all three.
"We wanted to win, first of all," he said. "We wanted to hold them under 30 and we wanted to have less than 15 turnovers.
"We played hard for 32 minutes. We haven't turned the corner yet, but we're getting there."
The Lions, who played Brown Deer on Dec. 17, play at Greendale on Dec. 20 and then play at Wilmot on Dec. 27 in a non-conference game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Sharpshooting Sirek leads New Berlin Eisenhower boys to victory
- New Berlin West girls basketball team plays well, earns split in WC
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls pull away from Pewaukee in fourth quarter
- Girls basketball: Fourth-quarter explosion lifts Lions to big win
- Big plays key New Berlin Eisenhower girls' win over West
- New Berlin West boys can't overcome slow start against Eisenhower
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team beats South but loses to East
- New Berlin Eisenhower wins Oshkosh West tourney