New Berlin Eisenhower's first-year coach Janelle Grochowski got to experience her initial New Berlin Eisenhower-New Berlin West girls volleyball match and came away with a good feeling.
That's because her Lions defeated the Vikings in an exciting match, winning 3-2 in five games.
The Vikings won the first game (26-24), only to see Eisenhower bounce back with two wins (25-13, 25-18) to take a 2-1 lead. But coach Jimmy Burg, the first-year coach at West, saw his girls charge back and tie the match at 2-2 with a 25-18 win.
But the Lions won the deciding match (15-10) to come away victorious.
"The girls always look forward to this match each season," Grochowski said. "There is always something about playing one of your rivals that gives everyone that extra drive or that want to win.
"We got behind a game right off the bat but the girls pulled together and decided that they weren't going to back down."
Nikki Karch (14) and Jess Gary (12) led the Lions in kills, while Hayley White had 18 digs and three aces.
Rachael Dejno handed out 25 assists and Natalie Olson swatted away eight shots.
West was led by Gina Pezze (21 kills, 20 digs) and Sarah Franzen (28 assists, 11 digs).
Claire Radtke added seven kills, Molly Austad 25 digs, Jamey Devine 10 digs, and Eileen Herbers eight kills and six blocks.
"It was a hard-fought match by both teams," Grochowski said. "I was really proud of the girls that even when things weren't going their way, they never gave up and they kept fighting."
West also beat South Milwaukee (25-13, 25-7, 25-12) on Sept. 9.
Stat leaders: Pezze (10 kills, 10 digs), Herbers (12 kills), Franzen (28 assists, four aces), Radtke (seven kills, three aces) and Austad (12 digs).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls upended by Pewaukee's Pirates
- I played at state: Alex Izzo
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower takes early command of Woodland
- Four local athletes awarded NOW football honors
- New Berlin West girls win basketball opener
- New Berlin Marlin boys swim team returns plenty of talent
- Poor third quarter leads to New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball opening loss
- Detmer takes over reins as new New Berlin wrestling coach
- Timmer scores 33 for New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball in win
- West girls beat Dominican, 38-36