New Berlin West girls tennis off to busy start
Team returns six letter winners from 2012
New Berlin West has six returning letter winners, led by sophomore Naomi Bhagat at No. 1 singles, junior Alex Weis at No. 2 singles (up from No. 3) and senior Nicole Poellinger at No. 3 singles (up from No. 4). Senior Lauren Hugdahl at No. 4 singles moved from No. 1 doubles.
Doubles returnees are seniors Kim Kramer at No. 1 doubles and Danielle Svehlek at No. 1 doubles (up from No. 2).
Most promising newcomers are the No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Maggie Cullinan and freshman Teresa Wan.
"We're hoping to turn last year's abundance of three-four losses into wins this year," coach Chris Veste said. "There is a lot of tennis playing experience on the team and they are match ready."
West finished eighth at the 16-team South Milwaukee Invitational from Aug. 21-23.
They lost to Racine Horlick and Oak Creek with rounds one and four and blanked (7-0) Racine Park and West Allis in rounds two and three.
Individual results: Bhagat (4-0) and Weis, Poellinger and Hugdahl were all 2-2 in singles.
Kramer/Svehlek (4-0), Cullinan/Wan (3-1) and sophomores Avery Jenks/Jade Piper (2-2) played doubles.
West then finished second in its own four-team quad on Saturday behind Sussex Hamilton and ahead of Mukwonago and Whitnall.
West won, 4-3, over Mukwonago in round one and lost to Sussex, 5-2, in round two.
Bhagat beat Mukwonago (7-6, 3-6 (8)) and Kramer/Svehlek remained undefeated on the season, beating Mukwonago (7-6, 3-6, (8)) and Sussex (6-1, 6-3).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower takes early command of Woodland
- Four local athletes awarded NOW football honors
- New Berlin West girls win basketball opener
- New Berlin Marlin boys swim team returns plenty of talent
- Poor third quarter leads to New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball opening loss
- Detmer takes over reins as new New Berlin wrestling coach
- Timmer scores 33 for New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball in win
- West girls beat Dominican, 38-36
- New Berlin West girls swimmers earn high honors
- Cultured established for West football