Tosa West wins, 1-0, over Eisenhower
Jones throws 1-hiiter, fans eight in ninth inning game
Jordan Platek singled with the bases loaded in the ninth inning and gave Wauwatosa West a 1-0 victory over a scrappy New Berlin Eisenhower team Friday afternoon at Bretlow Field.
West's Austin Jones and Ike's Reed Timmer hooked up in a great pitcher's duel, taking a 0-0 score into the ninth inning.
Jones singled to left, as the ball actually hit the shorststop's glove as he leaped high in the air. Willie Bellknapp then sacrificed him to second, but was safe at first when the third baseman bobbled the ball.
Ben Veit then bunted down the third base line and no one could make a play to load the bases.
Platek then came up and took a nice easy swing and hit a solid ball inbetween the centerfielder and the rightfielder, who were forced to play shallow.
Jones fanned eight, allowed one hit, walked three and hit a batter to get the win. Timmer also pitched great for the Lions, going eight innings, allowing eight hits, a hit batter and a walk. He got 11 outs on pop-ups or fly outs.
The Trojans defense was brilliant, pulling off three double plays to kill three Lions rallies.
With runners on first and third and one out in the sixth, Jones threw out the batter at first and when the runner on third tried to score he was tossed out at the plate on a throw by Nick Orlowski.
With runners on first and third and one out in the fifth, the runner strayed too far off third and catcher Willie Bellknapp drilled a throw to Platek, who tagged the runner out.
In the fourth inning, with the lead-off batter on, the Lions bunted, Jones grabbed the ball in the air and threw to first to double the runner off.
But the play of the game came in the third with first and third and one out, Mitch Arman drilled a ball to short left center. West leftfielder John Syburg caught it and threw a perfect one-bounce throw to Belknapp to get the runner at the plate to end the inning.
West plays St. Francis at 5 p.m. at Beitlow and a win will clinch a title tie. Ike also plays Whitnall tonight at home.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Sharpshooting Sirek leads New Berlin Eisenhower boys to victory
- New Berlin West girls basketball team plays well, earns split in WC
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls pull away from Pewaukee in fourth quarter
- Girls basketball: Fourth-quarter explosion lifts Lions to big win
- Big plays key New Berlin Eisenhower girls' win over West
- New Berlin West boys can't overcome slow start against Eisenhower
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team beats South but loses to East
- New Berlin Eisenhower wins Oshkosh West tourney