New Berlin Eisenhower went on a 6-0 run to start the fourth quarter and defeated crosstown rival New Berlin West, 52-42, at West in the regular season finale.
Leading 34-30, going into the final period, Sammy Kozlowski hit a jumper and Erin Ganzke hit two free throws and a jumper and suddenly it was a 10-point game.
After a 14-14 first quarter, Ike took a slim 22-21 lead into halftime and increased that lead to 34-30 going into the final period as Katie Lang, who led the Lions with 14 points, scored on a drive, was fouled and sank the free throw, starting a 9-0 run.
West, who was led by Beth Ver Haagh with 20 points, cut the lead to 49-41 with 1:18 left, but it was too little too late.
Ike and Pius now share the title (16-1) while the Viking finish 11-6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: March 13
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls sweep West, 53-43
- Third time is the charm for New Berlin Eisenhower girls
- Girls basketball: Kozlowski keys Lions' third win over West
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Pewaukee finds another gear in overtime to down New Berlin Eisenhower
- New Berlin West boys basketball loses to Catholic Memorial
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee finds another gear in overtime to down Lions
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower dials long distance, downs CMH
- Central extends win streak to five games