New Berlin Eisenhower went on a 6-0 run to start the fourth quarter and defeated crosstown rival New Berlin West, 52-42, at West in the regular season finale.
Leading 34-30, going into the final period, Sammy Kozlowski hit a jumper and Erin Ganzke hit two free throws and a jumper and suddenly it was a 10-point game.
After a 14-14 first quarter, Ike took a slim 22-21 lead into halftime and increased that lead to 34-30 going into the final period as Katie Lang, who led the Lions with 14 points, scored on a drive, was fouled and sank the free throw, starting a 9-0 run.
West, who was led by Beth Ver Haagh with 20 points, cut the lead to 49-41 with 1:18 left, but it was too little too late.
Ike and Pius now share the title (16-1) while the Viking finish 11-6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: May 23
- Radtke returns to helm for New Berlin West girls basketball
- Pirates end New Berlin West girls' soccer title chances
- New Berlin West boys, girls sweep Woodland Outdoors track meet
- Klotz sparks New Berlin West softball to regional win
- Wayne J. Hamilton Fundraiser set for Sunday
- New Berlin offers several summer basketball camps
- Track and Field Day set for Saturday at New Berlin West
- New Berlin Eisenhower softball team wins five of six
- New Berlin West girls soccer wins four of six games