New Berlin Eisenhower went on a 6-0 run to start the fourth quarter and defeated crosstown rival New Berlin West, 52-42, at West in the regular season finale.
Leading 34-30, going into the final period, Sammy Kozlowski hit a jumper and Erin Ganzke hit two free throws and a jumper and suddenly it was a 10-point game.
After a 14-14 first quarter, Ike took a slim 22-21 lead into halftime and increased that lead to 34-30 going into the final period as Katie Lang, who led the Lions with 14 points, scored on a drive, was fouled and sank the free throw, starting a 9-0 run.
West, who was led by Beth Ver Haagh with 20 points, cut the lead to 49-41 with 1:18 left, but it was too little too late.
Ike and Pius now share the title (16-1) while the Viking finish 11-6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin West's Madison Tew snares 200 freestyle state championship
- New Berlin West's Hewitt earns first-team all-conference honors
- New Berlin West basketball girls have depth, quickness
- Lesniewski named Eisenhower MVP
- Kozlowski, Brackmann back to lead Lions
- Paige Carter, Bella Passamani lead way for Eisenhower in state swim
- Boys volleyball: New Berlin holds off Appleton North to reach final
- Boys volleyball: Even after heartbreaking loss in state final, New Berlin proud of run
- New Berlin boys volleyball falls in state-title match
- Boys volleyball: New Berlin United catch fire in fourth, reach state semis