Senior Jenny Weiland put the Lions in a position to win the game and freshman Chelsea Brackmann scored the winning basket giving New Berlin Eisenhower a 43-41 victory at Pius XI to virtually tie for the Woodland Conference - West Division Championship.
With the Lady Popes leading 41-37, their largest lead of the night with 3:22 remaining, Weiland drove the lane and scored to cut the lead to 41-39. After Vivevca Nwagbaraocha missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 1:43 left, Weiland scored on another drive to tie the score.
Then Aliyah Ramirez missed a shot and Katie Lang grabbed the rebound and Ike ran the clock down to 9.7 seconds when coach Gary Schmidt called timeout.
When both teams came back on the court, Pius coach Scott Herrick called time out when he saw how the Lions lined up.
Sam Kozlowski then drove the lane as the clock ticked down, missed the shot, but the 6-2 freshman Brackmann grabbed the rebound and tossed the ball off the backboard and through the basket for the score. She was fouled, missed the shot with 1.2 seconds left, but Erin Ganske grabbed the rebound as time ran out.
Weiland, who had three points going into the fourth quarter, scored all eight of the Lions points until Brackmann's game winner.
Brackmann never knew her shot when in.
"I didn't know I made the basket until I heard the crowd roar," she said.
Brackmann had eight points and Kozlowski led the Lions with 12. Gabby Green scored 14 points for Pius, doing most of her damage driving to the basket.
Ramirez had nine points on three 3s, as the Lady Popes finished with seven from beyond the arc.
"Our kids never quit," Schmidt. "They showed their resiliency. They really wanted this one. It was huge."
"There was tremendous effort out there by both teams."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team wins Woodland Conference Relays
- Football: Jordan Canady, Eisenhower football win battle of New Berlin with ease
- New Berlin Eisenhower football team routs Pius for two wins in a row
- New Berlin West football team drops heartbreaker to Pewaukee
- Eisenhower girls swimming team dominates at Rocket Relays
- New Berlin United loses to Germantown in own invitational
- Football: New Berlin Eisenhower's Jake Rastas sparks victory over Wauwatosa West
- Football: Jake Rastas sparks New Berlin Eisenhower's 21-14 win over Wauwatosa West
- More than 85 soccer teams at NBSC Fall Classic
- Greendale football team whips Eisenhower