Senior Jenny Weiland put the Lions in a position to win the game and freshman Chelsea Brackmann scored the winning basket giving New Berlin Eisenhower a 43-41 victory at Pius XI to virtually tie for the Woodland Conference - West Division Championship.
With the Lady Popes leading 41-37, their largest lead of the night with 3:22 remaining, Weiland drove the lane and scored to cut the lead to 41-39. After Vivevca Nwagbaraocha missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 1:43 left, Weiland scored on another drive to tie the score.
Then Aliyah Ramirez missed a shot and Katie Lang grabbed the rebound and Ike ran the clock down to 9.7 seconds when coach Gary Schmidt called timeout.
When both teams came back on the court, Pius coach Scott Herrick called time out when he saw how the Lions lined up.
Sam Kozlowski then drove the lane as the clock ticked down, missed the shot, but the 6-2 freshman Brackmann grabbed the rebound and tossed the ball off the backboard and through the basket for the score. She was fouled, missed the shot with 1.2 seconds left, but Erin Ganske grabbed the rebound as time ran out.
Weiland, who had three points going into the fourth quarter, scored all eight of the Lions points until Brackmann's game winner.
Brackmann never knew her shot when in.
"I didn't know I made the basket until I heard the crowd roar," she said.
Brackmann had eight points and Kozlowski led the Lions with 12. Gabby Green scored 14 points for Pius, doing most of her damage driving to the basket.
Ramirez had nine points on three 3s, as the Lady Popes finished with seven from beyond the arc.
"Our kids never quit," Schmidt. "They showed their resiliency. They really wanted this one. It was huge."
"There was tremendous effort out there by both teams."
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower bats come alive against Pewaukee
- New Berlin West baseball team, Greendale tied for first
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team has good season
- Softball: New Berlin Eisenhower's Ali Nowak earns first-team all-state honors
- State Softball: New Berlin West starts fast, holds on, beats New London
- Softball: New Berlin West wins first state softball championship
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team back on winning track
- Girls soccer: New Berlin West girls soccer team nips Lions in semifinal shootout
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team defeats Greenfield, 5-1
- Waukesha West blanks New Berlin West soccer team, 4-0