United for Greg volleyball match set for Tuesday at Ike
Boys spikers to host Catholic Memorial
The New Berlin United Boy's Varsity Volleyball team will be hosting a non-conference match vs Catholic Memorial, but it will be even more important than usual.
This match will be a fundraising benefit for a 14-year old New Berlin resident freshman at Marquette University High School who is battling bone cancer.
Greg Von Rueden went to Holy Apostles grade school and played volleyball with several players from both New Berlin United and CMH. He also plays club volleyball with several of these players for the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club.
Greg was diagnosed in June, 2012 with bone cancer and has been undergoing chemo treatments since July and recently had the tumor and several inches of leg bone removed surgically.
It will be a "United for Greg" evening. It is being promoted by wearing yellow to the match and fundraising yellow t-shirts were made by the West Allis Lightning VBC and Burghardt's Sporting Goods to promote Greg's cause .
There will be kids games between sets of the varsity match.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Seven New Berlin skaters join Greendale Ice Force co-op boys hockey team
- Experience, depth make New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team contenders
- Coach Pat Detmer sees improvement for New Berlin co-op wrestling team
- New Berlin West boys basketball team will have their hands full in rugged West Division
- New Berlin Eisenhower swimming team names Paige Carter MVP
- Hot-shooting New Berlin West girls basketball team romps in season opener
- Coach Heft sees good things for New Berlin boys co-op swimming team
- New Berlin West girls crush Burlington in basketball opener
- New Berlin West girls bring defense to basketball court again
- New Berlin Eisenhower finishes sixth at state swimming meet