New Berlin West's football team defeated Greendale in a significant upset Friday, 24-10, in what amounted to be a penalty filled, sloppy game full of mistakes.
Pass interference penalties, false starts, illegal motions, late hits, dropped passes, missed blocks, interceptions, and bad snaps. Name the mistake, one of the teams committed it at some point in this game.
The game came down to the fact that the Panthers made more, and perhaps bigger, mistakes than the Vikings. At one point in the first quarter, Greendale had a 1st and 10 inside the 20 yard line of New Berlin West. After a bad snap, two false starts and a holding penalty, the Panthers faced a 2nd and 40 and wound up punting.
Greendale committed three turnovers in the second half, two of which were fumbles, and one of those was a bad snap out of a shotgun formation that went over sophomore quarterback Josh Ringelberg's head.
“It was a game of miscues, all self-inflicted” said Greendale head coach Rob Stoltz.
One of the bright spots was the play of New Berlin West junior linebacker and freshly-minted running back Travis McKeon. Playing his first game at the position, McKeon ran for 112 yards and a touchdown. He also intercepted a pass in the third quarter.
“Well I just started playing running back on Wednesday because our first running back got a concussion, so we were just trying to see if it worked if they liked me there and I looked like a natural, so they just put me in there to see what happened” said McKeon.
Even though they made plenty of their own mistakes, New Berlin West was able to contain those miscues, thanks in part to the running game. In addition to McKeon's 112 yard, one touchdown performance, junior running back Bryan Watson added 77 yards and two touchdowns on the ground as well. Both of Watson's scores came in the fourth quarter.
“All year we have been talking about the offense getting off the ball and chewing up yards and that's what they did this evening; I was very proud of them” said West coach Al Moroder.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Sharpshooting Sirek leads New Berlin Eisenhower boys to victory
- New Berlin West girls basketball team plays well, earns split in WC
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls pull away from Pewaukee in fourth quarter
- Girls basketball: Fourth-quarter explosion lifts Lions to big win
- Big plays key New Berlin Eisenhower girls' win over West
- New Berlin West boys can't overcome slow start against Eisenhower
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team beats South but loses to East
- New Berlin Eisenhower wins Oshkosh West tourney