Player to watch: Senior defensive end Matthew Hewitt (6-4, 230) has worked hard in the off-season and he is the true leader of the program. On the other side of the football, junior running back Dylan Weise should key the offense.
Date to circle: Mark down Sept. 14 because that's the date the Vikings look forward to every year when they battle crosstown rival New Berlin Eisenhower. Since they share the same division this year it is even more important.
Strength: Team unity and chemistry are the Vikings strengths according to coach Al Moroder. "That's where it's important, the ability to work as a team. The Vikings have 24 letter winners returning, including the entire defense.
Weakness: Moroder is installing a new offense and the Vikings have to integrate it in what they want it to be. They are changing from the spread offense to the option offense. Moroder is also looking for bodies along the line and at linebacker, especially if injuries set in.
We say: Moroder wants his team to improve every week. The team is coming off a 2-7 record following a division winning 4-1 mark two years ago. Junior quarterback James Fortier's success running the option will be as important as the team unity and chemistry that Moroder talks about.
A GLANCE BACK
Greater Metro Conference: 2-7
Outcome: Did not make playoffs
First team: None
Honorable mention: None
First-team losses: None
Coach: Al Moroder
|Aug. 24||Brown Deer|
|Aug. 31||St. Francis|
|Sept. 7||Wauwatosa West|
|Sept. 14||New Berlin Eisenhower|
|Sept. 21||Milwaukee Pius|
home games in bold
- New Berlin and Muskego Sports Shorts: June 2
- West holds off Eisenhower, 7-6, to win regional softball title
- Muskego and New Berlin Sports Shorts: May 26
- Eisenhower boys win Woodland tennis title
- SOFTBALL: New Berlin West wins third conference title in six years
- Boys track and field: New Berlin Eisenhower boys capture Woodland title
- Baseball: Eisenhower, New Berlin West baseball teams have different expectations (1)
- Grade school basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower seventh-grade boys basketball team wins D2 state title
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016