Player to watch: Senior defensive end Matthew Hewitt (6-4, 230) has worked hard in the off-season and he is the true leader of the program. On the other side of the football, junior running back Dylan Weise should key the offense.
Date to circle: Mark down Sept. 14 because that's the date the Vikings look forward to every year when they battle crosstown rival New Berlin Eisenhower. Since they share the same division this year it is even more important.
Strength: Team unity and chemistry are the Vikings strengths according to coach Al Moroder. "That's where it's important, the ability to work as a team. The Vikings have 24 letter winners returning, including the entire defense.
Weakness: Moroder is installing a new offense and the Vikings have to integrate it in what they want it to be. They are changing from the spread offense to the option offense. Moroder is also looking for bodies along the line and at linebacker, especially if injuries set in.
We say: Moroder wants his team to improve every week. The team is coming off a 2-7 record following a division winning 4-1 mark two years ago. Junior quarterback James Fortier's success running the option will be as important as the team unity and chemistry that Moroder talks about.
A GLANCE BACK
Greater Metro Conference: 2-7
Outcome: Did not make playoffs
First team: None
Honorable mention: None
First-team losses: None
Coach: Al Moroder
|Aug. 24||Brown Deer|
|Aug. 31||St. Francis|
|Sept. 7||Wauwatosa West|
|Sept. 14||New Berlin Eisenhower|
|Sept. 21||Milwaukee Pius|
home games in bold
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- FMOW gymnasts win sectional with season-best score
- New Berlin West girls stage early-round stunner
- Girls basketball: New Berlin West beats Eisenhower for regional championship crown
- Girls basketball: New Berlin West girls stage early-round stunner, down Pewaukee
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Scholz, Balcerak win conference gymnastics titles for Franklin-Muskego-Oak Creek-Whitnall
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball finish second after win over Pewaukee
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys beat Vikings, Trojans