Eisenhower vs. New London for state title tonight
Battle of the state's top two D2 girls basketball teams
When No. 2 ranked New Berlin Eisenhower (27-0) and No. 1 ranked New London (27-0) meet Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. at the Kohl Center in Madison, it will be the seventh time two unbeaten teams have met for the WIAA State Girls Basketball Championship.
This is the first time it has happened in a Division 2 title game.
The last time it happened came in a Division 3 title game in 2009 as Amherst (27-0) beat Cuba City (26-1), 41-37.
In 1999 in a Division 4 title battle, Barneveld (27-0) beat Potosi (26-1), 49-42.
Before that the schools were divided by letters. It happened three times among 'A' Division schools and one in a 'B' Division title game.
In 1994 Milwaukee Washington (25-0) beat La Crosse Central (25-1), 58-54, in 1990 Milwaukee Washington (26-0) beat Eau Claire Memorial (26-1), 57-42, and in 1981 Wauwatosa East (24-0) beat Watertown (24-1), 36-25.
In the B Division game in 1986 Durand (26-0) beat Waterford (25-1), 56-54 (OT).
- Muskego and New Berlin Sports Shorts: May 26
- Eisenhower boys win Woodland tennis title
- SOFTBALL: New Berlin West wins third conference title in six years
- Boys track and field: New Berlin Eisenhower boys capture Woodland title
- Baseball: Eisenhower, New Berlin West baseball teams have different expectations (1)
- Grade school basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower seventh-grade boys basketball team wins D2 state title
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- Softball: Eisenhower softball teams bounces back with two big wins
- Softball: New Berlin West wins two Woodland softball games