Eisenhower vs. New London for state title tonight
Battle of the state's top two D2 girls basketball teams
When No. 2 ranked New Berlin Eisenhower (27-0) and No. 1 ranked New London (27-0) meet Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. at the Kohl Center in Madison, it will be the seventh time two unbeaten teams have met for the WIAA State Girls Basketball Championship.
This is the first time it has happened in a Division 2 title game.
The last time it happened came in a Division 3 title game in 2009 as Amherst (27-0) beat Cuba City (26-1), 41-37.
In 1999 in a Division 4 title battle, Barneveld (27-0) beat Potosi (26-1), 49-42.
Before that the schools were divided by letters. It happened three times among 'A' Division schools and one in a 'B' Division title game.
In 1994 Milwaukee Washington (25-0) beat La Crosse Central (25-1), 58-54, in 1990 Milwaukee Washington (26-0) beat Eau Claire Memorial (26-1), 57-42, and in 1981 Wauwatosa East (24-0) beat Watertown (24-1), 36-25.
In the B Division game in 1986 Durand (26-0) beat Waterford (25-1), 56-54 (OT).
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team drops pair to Tosa West
- Long-tenured sports writer Sky Skibosh heads into retirement, sort of
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team sits at top of Woodland West
- Girls soccer: New Berlin West girls soccer team finishes one win from state in Drago's first year
- Softball: New Berlin West's outstanding softball season ends with state title
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower bats come alive against Pewaukee
- New Berlin West baseball team, Greendale tied for first
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team has good season
- Softball: New Berlin Eisenhower's Ali Nowak earns first-team all-state honors
- State Softball: New Berlin West starts fast, holds on, beats New London