Eisenhower vs. New London for state title tonight
Battle of the state's top two D2 girls basketball teams
When No. 2 ranked New Berlin Eisenhower (27-0) and No. 1 ranked New London (27-0) meet Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. at the Kohl Center in Madison, it will be the seventh time two unbeaten teams have met for the WIAA State Girls Basketball Championship.
This is the first time it has happened in a Division 2 title game.
The last time it happened came in a Division 3 title game in 2009 as Amherst (27-0) beat Cuba City (26-1), 41-37.
In 1999 in a Division 4 title battle, Barneveld (27-0) beat Potosi (26-1), 49-42.
Before that the schools were divided by letters. It happened three times among 'A' Division schools and one in a 'B' Division title game.
In 1994 Milwaukee Washington (25-0) beat La Crosse Central (25-1), 58-54, in 1990 Milwaukee Washington (26-0) beat Eau Claire Memorial (26-1), 57-42, and in 1981 Wauwatosa East (24-0) beat Watertown (24-1), 36-25.
In the B Division game in 1986 Durand (26-0) beat Waterford (25-1), 56-54 (OT).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego and New Berlin Sports Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014
- Eisenhower cross country program advances four runners to state meet
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- New Berlin West, Eisenhower kickers eliminated from postseason
- Meleski, Eldien shine at Woodland Conference championship
- New Berlin United wins Woodland Boys volleyball title
- Football: New Berlin West closes year on two-game winning streak
- Football: Messmer/Shorewood ends Eisenhower's playoff hopes
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue