Ike beats West, 49-23 in sectional semifinal
Sets up re-match with Whitefish Bay on Saturday
New Berlin Eisenhower used great defense and beat New Berlin West, 49-23, Thursday night in the sectional semifinal at Greenfield and moved on to Saturday's sectional championship game.
Eisenhower (25-0) has now won 30-of-31 games and the Lions will meet Whitefish Bay (21-4) at 1 p.m. Saturday at Waukesha South. The Blue Dukes are the last team to beat the Lions, 44-42, when they won the sectional title at West Allis Central on March 19, 2011.
Bay defeated Wauwatosa West, 54-37, at Waukesha North on Thursday to move on to Saturday's game. Maya Jones led the way with 15 points, while three other Bay players had 12.
The Lions took care of business at Greenfield on Thursday, as they jumped off to a 9-2 lead in the first quarter as All-Star Nicole Bauman scored the first seven points of the game, sandwiching two field goals around a long 3-pointer.
The Lions defense was intense as Shannon Burke's basket with 2:52 left in the first quarter was West's only points.
"We wanted to try and take their 3's away from them," Ike coach Gary Schmidt said. "I thought our intensity was brilliant tonight. The played with their heart and soul. They wanted to win this game. They wanted to get back to where we werer last year. Hopefully, we can take care of business this Saturday, but we want to really enjoy this one tonight."
Eisenhower went on a 12-2 run to begin the second quarter to take a 21-4 lead with 3:59 left in the half. Ike junior guard Erin Ganzke had six points in that run, while Bauman, Jenny Weiland and Katie Lang also scored.
West finished with an 8-5 run to cut the lead to 26-14 at halftime, as Becca Gasper scored three points and Lex Porter had a 3-pointer and a breakaway steal.
West came out and cut the lead to 30-19 as Beth Ver Haag hit a 3-pointer and Gasper scored a layup, but Ike put the game away with a 10-0 run to end the third quarter with a 40-19 lead.
Showing good balance, five different Lions scored in the run - Ganzke had two free throws, Lang had a steal and a score, Weiland had two free throws, Bauman a rebound basket and Taylor McArthur in a jumper.
A combined 13 points were scored in the fourth quarter as the Lions worked the clock and both coaches cleared the benches.
Bauman had 15, Ganzke 11 and Lang 10 for Ike, while Gasper had nine and Beth Ver Haag had seven for West.
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team sweeps rival New Berlin West
- Baseball: Division title slips away from New Berlin West baseball team