Sophomore guard Reed Timmer hit a jump shot with 4.3 seconds left to play and gave New Berlin Eisenhower a thrilling 60-58 victory over Whitnall on Friday at Ike and a share of first place in the Woodland Conference Black Division.
The Lions and Falcons are now 8-2, one game ahead of South Milwaukee (7-3) which was upset by Greendale Friday night.
Ike led after one quarter (16-11) as Sandro Pesqueira had nine points. Keith Kahlfeldt added eight points and John Crowley six in the second quarter to give the Lions a 30-25 lead at halftime.
Kahlfeldt (8 points) and Pesqueira (6) then sparked a third period which gave Ike a 46-42 lead after three quarters.
But the Falcons used runs of 10-0 in the third quarter and 7-0 in the final period to stay in the game.
They took the lead for the first time at 39-37 on a basket by Daniel Weymier with 3:27 left in the third period. Trailing 48-45 in the fourth quarter, the Falcons took a 52-48 lead. Stephen Pelkofer hit a free throw, Sam Mentkowski and Bryan Nagy had baskets and Pelkofer added a basket with 3:01 left to play.
But Timmer hit a basket and Pesqueira a 3-pointer to take a 53-52 lead. The teams then exchanged baskets until Pelkofer's jumper tied the game with 32.1 seconds to play.
Eisenhower called timeout with 11 seconds left, worked the ball to Timmer, who coolly sank a jumper from just beyond the free throw line for the winning shot with 4.3 seconds on the clock. A last minute half-court shot by Whitnall banged off the backboard.
Pesqueira had 21 points, all on 3-pointers, the biggest one coming with 46.7 left to give Ike a 58-56 lead.
The veteran Kahlfeldt was a forced underneath with 18 points and Timmer had 11 and John Crowley 10.
The Falcons were led by Nagy with 16 and Michael Bonin with 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls sweep West, 53-43
- Third time is the charm for New Berlin Eisenhower girls
- Girls basketball: Kozlowski keys Lions' third win over West
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Pewaukee finds another gear in overtime to down New Berlin Eisenhower
- New Berlin West boys basketball loses to Catholic Memorial
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee finds another gear in overtime to down Lions
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower dials long distance, downs CMH
- Central extends win streak to five games
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls find shot in second half