Sophomore guard Reed Timmer hit a jump shot with 4.3 seconds left to play and gave New Berlin Eisenhower a thrilling 60-58 victory over Whitnall on Friday at Ike and a share of first place in the Woodland Conference Black Division.
The Lions and Falcons are now 8-2, one game ahead of South Milwaukee (7-3) which was upset by Greendale Friday night.
Ike led after one quarter (16-11) as Sandro Pesqueira had nine points. Keith Kahlfeldt added eight points and John Crowley six in the second quarter to give the Lions a 30-25 lead at halftime.
Kahlfeldt (8 points) and Pesqueira (6) then sparked a third period which gave Ike a 46-42 lead after three quarters.
But the Falcons used runs of 10-0 in the third quarter and 7-0 in the final period to stay in the game.
They took the lead for the first time at 39-37 on a basket by Daniel Weymier with 3:27 left in the third period. Trailing 48-45 in the fourth quarter, the Falcons took a 52-48 lead. Stephen Pelkofer hit a free throw, Sam Mentkowski and Bryan Nagy had baskets and Pelkofer added a basket with 3:01 left to play.
But Timmer hit a basket and Pesqueira a 3-pointer to take a 53-52 lead. The teams then exchanged baskets until Pelkofer's jumper tied the game with 32.1 seconds to play.
Eisenhower called timeout with 11 seconds left, worked the ball to Timmer, who coolly sank a jumper from just beyond the free throw line for the winning shot with 4.3 seconds on the clock. A last minute half-court shot by Whitnall banged off the backboard.
Pesqueira had 21 points, all on 3-pointers, the biggest one coming with 46.7 left to give Ike a 58-56 lead.
The veteran Kahlfeldt was a forced underneath with 18 points and Timmer had 11 and John Crowley 10.
The Falcons were led by Nagy with 16 and Michael Bonin with 10.
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team exceeded expectations
- Girls basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team wins summer tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition