The unbeaten New Berlin Eisenhower girls were hoping to get tested Tuesday night, but instead they rolled to a 64-40 victory over previously-unbeaten Cudahy at Ike.
The win improved the Lions' record to 7-0, 6-0 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, while the Packers, leaders of the Blue Division, fell to 5-1, 4-1 in conference play.
In a game that had two of the better players in the state squaring off - Nicole Bauman of Ike, the University of Wisconsin result, and Taylor Gradinjan of Cudahy, it was the supporting players who made the difference.
Bauman scored 19 points and Gradinjan had 16 to lead their respective teams, while Jenna Jagler and Emily Wiltzius added 10 each for the Pack.
But Bauman had more support, as Jenny Weiland had 15 points and Erin Ganzke added 14, while Katie Lang had 12. Jessa Hahn came off the bench to score a bucket and grabbed some big rebounds and Kristin Hesselbach and Taylor McArthur also played a good floor game and helped key the defense.
Ike took a 14-7 lead after one quarter as Bauman had six points and Lang four. After a defensive second period, the Lions took a 22-15 advantage into half-time. Bauman had eight points and Weiland had six, while Gradinjan had four.
Although Gradinjan scored 10 third-quarter points, the Lions used a solid defense to expand their lead to 46-33 going in the fourth period. Bauman had nine points, Weiland seven and Ganzke added six.
After the Packers cut the lead to 28-26 with 5:47 left in the third quarter, the Lions went on a 12-2 run to take a 40-28 lead and coast to victory.
Bauman started the run with a jumper and ended it with a 3-pointer, while Weiland had a trey off a pass from Hesselbach and a lay-up and Hahn had a rebound basket.
Lang and Ganzke added six points each in the final quarter, as the Lions rolled to an 18-7 advantage.
Ike is now off until Dec. 27 when they play Monroe in the Edgewood Classic.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins regional championship
- New Berlin Track and Field Day
- Mials McMurray, West Allis Hale pull away from Bulldogs in regional
- Grafton's Lukas throws no-hitter at Nicolet in regional baseball loss
- West pitcher Kopp overpowers Shorewood in regional baseball loss
- Arrowhead pitching too much for Brown Deer in regional baseball loss
- New Berlin West baseball ends season in regional final
- Baseball: Muskego ousts defending champion West in regional baseball contest
- Wisconsin Fastpitch Senior All-Stars Series raises money for charity