The unbeaten New Berlin Eisenhower girls were hoping to get tested Tuesday night, but instead they rolled to a 64-40 victory over previously-unbeaten Cudahy at Ike.
The win improved the Lions' record to 7-0, 6-0 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, while the Packers, leaders of the Blue Division, fell to 5-1, 4-1 in conference play.
In a game that had two of the better players in the state squaring off - Nicole Bauman of Ike, the University of Wisconsin result, and Taylor Gradinjan of Cudahy, it was the supporting players who made the difference.
Bauman scored 19 points and Gradinjan had 16 to lead their respective teams, while Jenna Jagler and Emily Wiltzius added 10 each for the Pack.
But Bauman had more support, as Jenny Weiland had 15 points and Erin Ganzke added 14, while Katie Lang had 12. Jessa Hahn came off the bench to score a bucket and grabbed some big rebounds and Kristin Hesselbach and Taylor McArthur also played a good floor game and helped key the defense.
Ike took a 14-7 lead after one quarter as Bauman had six points and Lang four. After a defensive second period, the Lions took a 22-15 advantage into half-time. Bauman had eight points and Weiland had six, while Gradinjan had four.
Although Gradinjan scored 10 third-quarter points, the Lions used a solid defense to expand their lead to 46-33 going in the fourth period. Bauman had nine points, Weiland seven and Ganzke added six.
After the Packers cut the lead to 28-26 with 5:47 left in the third quarter, the Lions went on a 12-2 run to take a 40-28 lead and coast to victory.
Bauman started the run with a jumper and ended it with a 3-pointer, while Weiland had a trey off a pass from Hesselbach and a lay-up and Hahn had a rebound basket.
Lang and Ganzke added six points each in the final quarter, as the Lions rolled to an 18-7 advantage.
Ike is now off until Dec. 27 when they play Monroe in the Edgewood Classic.
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team exceeded expectations
- Girls basketball: New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball team wins summer tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition