The New Berlin West boys struggled from the free throw line Tuesday night allowing New Berlin Eisenhower to win its sixth straight game in the series and earn a 50-46 decision in an exciting, hard-fought game at West.
The Vikings hit a horrific 37 percent from the free throw line (7-of-19), including a 2-for-9 stretch in the final quarter which probably cost them the ball game.
They have now lost six straight games to the Lions dating back to a 35-33 win on Feb. 8, 2008.
The Vikings had taken a 40-38 lead with 6 minutes, 33 seconds left in the game on a drive to the basket by senior guard Jordan McKeon, but Ike sophomore guard Reed Timmer tied the game on a fastbreak steal.
The Vikings then missed four straight free throw attempts, before Dan Sidesky converted two to pull within 44-42 with 2:35 left to play.
Scrappy guard Gerald Bufford III hit two free throws to increase Ike's lead to 46-42 with 1:32 to play and then Sidesky drove the lane for a bucket with 59.9 seconds left to cut the lead to 46-44.
Timmer then hit 2-of-2 free throws, but the Vikings and Lions each missed two free throws before Sidesky scored on a drive to the basket to cut the lead to 48-46 with 35.2 left in the game.
The Lions missed four free throws, but the Vikings couldn't take a advantage of it and missed the front end of a bonus with a chance to tie the game with 21.2 left to play.
The Lions also struggled from the line in the final six in a row before Bufford dropped in two shots with 5 seconds left to play to ice the win.
Timmer scored nine points and Bufford seven as the Lions led 29-26 at intermission. Sidesky led West with 10 points.
Timmer finished with 19 points, while Sidesky had 18 and Bufford finished with 11.
Ike remained unbeaten with a 5-0 record, 4-0 in conference play. West fell to 2-3, 1-3 in league action.
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Sport Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Girls soccer: New Berlin Eisenhower girls soccer team tied for first in Woodland
- Boys track and field: New Berlin Eisenhower boys second at Altheimer Track Invitational
- Softball: First-place New Berlin West softball team improves to 8-0
- Sport Shorts: April 28, 2016
- Boys volleyball: Nick Maske named New Berlin United boys volleyball coach
- Sports Notes: April 21
- Sport Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Softball: New Berlin West softball team improves to 4-0 on diamond