New Berlin West's girls basketball team led most of the night, but Pewaukee senior Jordyn Swan hit two free throws with 13.9 seconds left, lifting the Pirates to a 44-42 victory in the Woodland Conference opener Friday night.
West kept the Pirates off balance most of the game, taking a lead as large as eight points in the first half and seven in the second half. Emily Wirth hit a 3-pointer with 2:14 left to give PHS a 36-35 lead -- its first advantage of the game -- but West's Stephanie Turner answered with a jumper to give West the lead back. Turner, a 6-2 junior who missed all of her sophomore year with injury, finished with 16 points and has now reached double figures in both of her contests this year.
Brittany Groer's old-fashioned 3-point play gave PHS the lead back with 1:36 to play, 39-37, and Wirth hit three free throws in four attempts to make it 42-39 with 35.2 seconds to play. West re-tied the game on an Anne Kaczynski triple with 24 seconds left, but Pewaukee pushed the ball down the court after the ensuing timeout, and Swan drew contact with her look from the block.
A last-ditch 3-pointer by West fell short. Both teams emerged from the contest with 1-1 records.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- New Berlin Eisenhower suffers first Woodland loss, 41-14
- New Berlin West youth basketball tryouts set
- Eisenhower spikers sweep New Berlin West
- New Berlin West football team rallies but falls short, 26-12
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls swimmers win South Milwaukee Invite
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- New Berlin West's swimmers take second at Panther Invite
- West sets Youth Basketball sign-ups
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5