New Berlin - The New Berlin West boys soccer team finished third in the Mike Dillett Memorial Invitational on Friday and Saturday after beating Greenfield to begin the week.
The Vikings opened with a 7-0 win over Greenfield on Sept. 7, as Zach Nelson scored twice, Dino Poulos had two assists, Matt Rink scored a goal and had two assists and Kevin Marx and David Franke each scored a goal and handed out an assist.
Sangyun Kim and Brock Shilling (penalty kick) also scored for the Vikings, who are 2-1 in the Woodland Conference.
West then hosted the Mike Dillett Memorial Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
West beat Plymouth on Friday, 3-0, in their first tournament match.
Shilling was fouled inside the penalty box and Marx finished the penalty kick for a goal and a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute. In the 12th minute, Marx found Nelson for a goal and in the 55th minute Perry Hels served a great ball from the left wing to Reed Albinger who punched in the goal.
"I really thought Tyler Robey and Carson Jenks played really well for us in back," Otten said, "and Zach Nelson has been giving us productive minutes playing up top."
A short-handed Vikings team lost 2-0 to Madison West, as they were missing key players due to injury and ACT test taking. Greg Cameron and Michael Schinker in the midfield and Jesse Steger in goal all stepped up according to Otten, as the game was scoreless at halftime.
Later on Saturday, the Vikings beat Eau Claire Memorial, 1-0, to take third place in the tournament.
It was a tough battle against a Division 1 team that went to state last year and West held its own as it was a back and forth game. After 79 minutes of a hard-fought game, Rink was able to find Nelson with a slotted ball inside the box on the right side and Nelson hit a perfect shot for the winning goal.
"It's nice to see that all the hard work these guys have been putting in is starting to pay off," Otten said. "I think we are beginning to gel as a unit each and every game and you can see it within our play. The results are starting to turn around.
"We had great tournaments by Marx (midfield) and Robey (defender), but an overall good showing in a tough first year of the Mike Dillett Memorial Invitational," Otten said.
West is now 4-6-2 overall.
In Friday's first-round games, Eau Claire Memorial beat Fox Valley Lutheran (1-0), Verona over Bay Port (2-0) and Madison West over Hartford (2-1).
In Saturday's second-round game Verona beat Eau Claire Memorial (3-2), Fox Valley Lutheran over Bay Port (1-0) and Hartford over Plymouth (5-1).
Bay Port then beat Plymouth (3-0) in the seventh-place game and Hartford beat Fox Valley Lutheran (2-0) in the fifth-place game.
Madison West beat Verona (3-2) in the Championship Game.
New Berlin West plays Saturday vs. St. John's Military Academy at 1 p.m.
- Tom "Sky" Skibosh
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball team drops heartbreaker to Greendale in regional final
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team falls to Cudahy in WIAA regional
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team wins twice in Woodland Conference tournament
- Baseball: New Berlin West baseball wins Woodland Conference tournament
- Softball: New Berlin West's Greg Klotz is Now Newspapers' Coach of Year
- Softball: New Berlin West's Sowinski, Klotz named to Now All-Suburban softball team
- Softball: Nowak, Rossbach continued New Berlin Eisenhower's softball tradition
- Baseball: New Berlin Eisenhower baseball team sweeps rival New Berlin West
- Baseball: Division title slips away from New Berlin West baseball team