Madison - Local athletes won big while competing at the 2011 Special Olympics Wisconsin State Summer Games in Stevens Point on June 9-11.
Congratulations to all of the following athletes.
Kristin Martin took first in the 100, third in the 400 relay and third in the shot put. James Boser was first in the running long jump and Amanda Heard, first in the softball throw.
Steve Garbe was second in the 400 relay, second in the running long jump and third in the shot put and Tim Garbe took second in the 400 relay.
Dan Sutton was second in soccer, Phil Herrera was second in the 400 relay, third in the running long jump and third in the shot put. James Reese was second in the 50 dash, second in the standing long jump and third in the softball throw.
Bernard Beckers III was third in the 50 dash and third in the javelin and Mark McGarry was third in the 100.
Scott Appleby was fourth in the softball throw and sixth in the 50 and Michael Laffey finished fourth in the standing long jump.
Tyler Jaquish was fifth in the shot put and Craig Buker, seventh in the 25 backstroke.
Athletes from around the state qualified for the State Summer Games according to their recent performances at the local, regional or district tournaments.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- FMOW gymnasts win sectional with season-best score
- New Berlin West girls stage early-round stunner
- Girls basketball: New Berlin West keeps postseason train rolling with win over Eisenhower
- Girls basketball: New Berlin West girls stage early-round stunner, down Pewaukee
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Scholz, Balcerak win conference gymnastics titles for Franklin-Muskego-Oak Creek-Whitnall
- New Berlin Eisenhower girls basketball finish second after win over Pewaukee
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys beat Vikings, Trojans