New Berlin — Two former New Berlin Soccer Club officials face charges for allegedly stealing more than $83,000 from the club between 2009 and 2013.
Charged last week by the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office were Melanie Gretzon, 42, of St. Marys Drive in New Berlin, a former club president/treasurer, and Barbara Olson, 42, of Burlington, a former club treasurer.
According to the criminal complaint:
Three debit cards had been issued to either Olson or Gretzon since 2009. The cards had allegedly been used to pay for groceries, fast food and gasoline and for cash withdrawals.
Those unauthorized transactions totaled $70,831 from 2009 through the first half of 2013.
In addition, police said Olson admitted to writing checks to herself totaling $12,690 from the soccer club's accounts. Those checks were written between 2009 and 2010. (She was dismissed from the club in 2010.)
Olson is charged with felony theft in a business setting.
Gretzon faces four felony counts and one misdemeanor count of theft in a business setting.
Both will have an initial court appearance at 8:15 a.m. Monday.
The thefts were discovered when two of the club's bank accounts were overdrawn, the complaint says.
— Jane Ford-Stewart and Steve Garrison
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In brief: Police memorial, school benefits, Muskego girl
- Three swim groups to hold golf outing to get better equipment
- Pair of musicals to open at West PAC
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015
- Many take honors in the New Berlin Fourth of July celebration
- New Berlin Ike library to convert into collaborative commons area
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: July 16
- Burglaries, some other crimes down substantially in New Berlin
- New Berlin Police Department gives commendations, awards
- Propane tanks explode at recycling plant, prompt warning from officials (1)