New Berlin — Two former New Berlin Soccer Club officials face charges for allegedly stealing more than $83,000 from the club between 2009 and 2013.
Charged last week by the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office were Melanie Gretzon, 42, of St. Marys Drive in New Berlin, a former club president/treasurer, and Barbara Olson, 42, of Burlington, a former club treasurer.
According to the criminal complaint:
Three debit cards had been issued to either Olson or Gretzon since 2009. The cards had allegedly been used to pay for groceries, fast food and gasoline and for cash withdrawals.
Those unauthorized transactions totaled $70,831 from 2009 through the first half of 2013.
In addition, police said Olson admitted to writing checks to herself totaling $12,690 from the soccer club's accounts. Those checks were written between 2009 and 2010. (She was dismissed from the club in 2010.)
Olson is charged with felony theft in a business setting.
Gretzon faces four felony counts and one misdemeanor count of theft in a business setting.
Both will have an initial court appearance at 8:15 a.m. Monday.
The thefts were discovered when two of the club's bank accounts were overdrawn, the complaint says.
— Jane Ford-Stewart and Steve Garrison
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fixing New Berlin Eisenhower swimming pool among school recommendations
- New trash, recycle pickup policy in New Berlin on April 1
- Suburban bus services expands for Milwaukee workers
- New Berlin school breakfast draws large representation
- New Berlin School District sells former Glen Park Elementary School
- School heating, cooling projects win most support in New Berlin survey
- New Berlin may get hospital emergency department
- Muskego and New Berlin Police Reports: Nov. 13
- New Berlin to get citywide residential trash pickups