Driver could face
A 51-year-old New Berlin man could face a number of charges including drunken driving, sixth offense, after driving through a parking lot and allegedly nearly hitting police officers and a prisoner.
The incident happened about 11:25 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at an apartment complex in the 1500 block of Sunny Slope Road.
According to New Berlin police:
A vehicle unrelated to the incident to which police were called sped through the parking lot and nearly struck several officers and a prisoner. Initial attempts by officers on foot to stop the vehicle were unsuccessful.
A short time later, an officer in a squad located the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop. After pursuing the vehicle for several blocks, the driver stopped and fled on foot.
Police chased him and after using various forms of nonlethal force, took the man into custody. One officer and the suspect were treated at a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Police will refer charges to the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office for sixth offense operating while intoxicated, second degree recklessly endangering safety, eluding an officer, battery to a police officer, attempt to disarm a police officer, resisting an officer, and obstructing an officer.
The 47-year-old Brookfield woman who was a passenger in the vehicle, was also taken into custody for obstructing an officer after interfering with attempts to take the man into custody.
- Local lake districts, statewide programs persist in battle against invasive species
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- 11-year-old turns on New Berlin emergency sirens as test
- Most musical Fourth of July ever, coming to New Berlin in 2016
- New Berlin to celebrate America and community in 2016's Fourth of July festivities
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Event to benefit New Berlin Police canine officer
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego
- New Berlin Holy Apostles Festival to swing into three days of fun
- Muskego Campus News: UW-Whitewater, South Dakota State, Carthage College