Driver could face
A 51-year-old New Berlin man could face a number of charges including drunken driving, sixth offense, after driving through a parking lot and allegedly nearly hitting police officers and a prisoner.
The incident happened about 11:25 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at an apartment complex in the 1500 block of Sunny Slope Road.
According to New Berlin police:
A vehicle unrelated to the incident to which police were called sped through the parking lot and nearly struck several officers and a prisoner. Initial attempts by officers on foot to stop the vehicle were unsuccessful.
A short time later, an officer in a squad located the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop. After pursuing the vehicle for several blocks, the driver stopped and fled on foot.
Police chased him and after using various forms of nonlethal force, took the man into custody. One officer and the suspect were treated at a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Police will refer charges to the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office for sixth offense operating while intoxicated, second degree recklessly endangering safety, eluding an officer, battery to a police officer, attempt to disarm a police officer, resisting an officer, and obstructing an officer.
The 47-year-old Brookfield woman who was a passenger in the vehicle, was also taken into custody for obstructing an officer after interfering with attempts to take the man into custody.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Driving range dropped from New Berlin Hills' master plan (1)
- New Berlin School District taxpayers would get bang for buck
- New Berlin School Board approves $3.2 million Eisenhower pool renovation (4)
- Traveling beer garden to visit Doctors Park
- Students rebuild vintage racing machine
- Something old, something new at New Berlin Historical Society event on June 21
- Boat for vets, disabled inoperable after suspected joyride on New Berlin lake
- New Berlin approves commercial building, blocks access to subdivision (1)
- Stanek Tool of New Berlin promotes apprenterships to ease skills gaps
- New Berlin Ike grad wins data contest at Duke