A controversial recreation path planned for beside a portion of Tess Corners Drive will go back to the Public Works Committee for more review, the Muskego Common Council narrowly decided Tuesday night to the relief of about 20 residents at the meeting who oppose the path.
Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti cast the tie-breaking vote that sent the matter to committee. Because much of the path will cut through the district of newly elected Alderman Robert Wolfe who was at his first Common Council meeting Tuesday, Chiaverotti said she wanted the new alderman to become familiar with the options.
Wolfe is on the Public Works Committee that will likely hold a special meeting to give the earliest consideration possible to the path.
City officials still hope that the path and the related Tess Corners Drive road and drainage work can still be done this year, despite the delay due to 11th-hour objections to the path.
Moving the path from its planned off-road location to beside the shoulder of the road could add roughly $170,000 to the $1.4-million project, David Simpson, public works director, estimated. But Alderman Dan Soltysiak speculated that the extra cost could be brought down under some of the options that came up at the meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Southeast New Berlin gas station becoming a robbery target
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- New Berlin librarian leaves an improved facility and grateful staff
- Police Report: April 14
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- New Berlin incumbent alderman defeated by former Illinois mayor