A controversial recreation path planned for beside a portion of Tess Corners Drive will go back to the Public Works Committee for more review, the Muskego Common Council narrowly decided Tuesday night to the relief of about 20 residents at the meeting who oppose the path.
Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti cast the tie-breaking vote that sent the matter to committee. Because much of the path will cut through the district of newly elected Alderman Robert Wolfe who was at his first Common Council meeting Tuesday, Chiaverotti said she wanted the new alderman to become familiar with the options.
Wolfe is on the Public Works Committee that will likely hold a special meeting to give the earliest consideration possible to the path.
City officials still hope that the path and the related Tess Corners Drive road and drainage work can still be done this year, despite the delay due to 11th-hour objections to the path.
Moving the path from its planned off-road location to beside the shoulder of the road could add roughly $170,000 to the $1.4-million project, David Simpson, public works director, estimated. But Alderman Dan Soltysiak speculated that the extra cost could be brought down under some of the options that came up at the meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Character' coach named New Berlin Citizen of the Year
- New Berlin seeks policy for taxing units promoting development
- Fees shoot up for New Berlin recreation swim lessons, pool classes
- New Berlin sets hearing on proposed zero-increase property tax budget
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- No speakers at New Berlin schools' hearing on $5.1 million borrowing
- New Berlin Food Pantry to receive $10,000 from Hormel plant
- Lawyer turned missionary to hold fourth run/walk
- New Berlin CDA approves accessible housing grant program
- Parking lot paving starting any time at New Berlin's Valley View Park