A controversial recreation path planned for beside a portion of Tess Corners Drive will go back to the Public Works Committee for more review, the Muskego Common Council narrowly decided Tuesday night to the relief of about 20 residents at the meeting who oppose the path.
Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti cast the tie-breaking vote that sent the matter to committee. Because much of the path will cut through the district of newly elected Alderman Robert Wolfe who was at his first Common Council meeting Tuesday, Chiaverotti said she wanted the new alderman to become familiar with the options.
Wolfe is on the Public Works Committee that will likely hold a special meeting to give the earliest consideration possible to the path.
City officials still hope that the path and the related Tess Corners Drive road and drainage work can still be done this year, despite the delay due to 11th-hour objections to the path.
Moving the path from its planned off-road location to beside the shoulder of the road could add roughly $170,000 to the $1.4-million project, David Simpson, public works director, estimated. But Alderman Dan Soltysiak speculated that the extra cost could be brought down under some of the options that came up at the meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police blotter: Feb. 4
- Inclusive playground to replace splashpad plan in New Berlin
- Beloved musical, 'Dreamcoat,' to open at New Berlin West PAC on Friday
- Probe continues into alleged New Berlin West teacher misconduct (1)
- BuySeasons of New Berlin to permanently lay off 128 employees
- New Berlin, Junior Woman's Club shelve splashpad, favor playground
- New Berlin Lions hold Parade of Checks topping off club's 65th year
- Gov. Scott Walker coming to New Berlin schools to honor career efforts (10)
- New Berlin and Muskego police blotter: Jan. 21, 2016
- Community service projects debut at New Berlin Public Library