The power went out at three New Berlin Schools and about 8,400 homes and businesses in New Berlin and Brookfield about 11:15 a.m. Friday, as a We Energies power line failed, affecting equipment at a substation, Cathy Schulze, We Energies spokeswoman said.
The power line is along Lincoln Avenue in New Berlin, she said.
The schools and about 2,000 other customers had power again by 12:25 p.m. All 8,400 customers had power back by 12:40 p.m.
The New Berlin schools affected were New Berlin West Middle/High School, Ronald Reagan and Poplar Creek elementary schools.
The fact that the outage came at lunchtime and recess was a help, Superintendent Joe Garza said.
"With the sunshine and flashlights and professional staff, we did what we needed to do," he said.
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- 11-year-old turns on New Berlin emergency sirens as test
- Most musical Fourth of July ever, coming to New Berlin
- New Berlin to celebrate America and community this Fourth of July
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Event to benefit New Berlin Police canine officer
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego
- New Berlin Holy Apostles Festival to swing into three days of fun
- Muskego Campus News: UW-Whitewater, South Dakota State, Carthage College
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 23, 2016