The power went out at three New Berlin Schools and about 8,400 homes and businesses in New Berlin and Brookfield about 11:15 a.m. Friday, as a We Energies power line failed, affecting equipment at a substation, Cathy Schulze, We Energies spokeswoman said.
The power line is along Lincoln Avenue in New Berlin, she said.
The schools and about 2,000 other customers had power again by 12:25 p.m. All 8,400 customers had power back by 12:40 p.m.
The New Berlin schools affected were New Berlin West Middle/High School, Ronald Reagan and Poplar Creek elementary schools.
The fact that the outage came at lunchtime and recess was a help, Superintendent Joe Garza said.
"With the sunshine and flashlights and professional staff, we did what we needed to do," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Dec. 2
- Police Report: Dec. 2
- An early look at election filings in New Berlin
- Memories descend upon WWII paratrooper in New Berlin
- Muskego School Board president won't seek re-election
- News & Notes: Nov. 28
- Police Report: Nov. 25
- Some names paved the way for New Berlin's history
- New Berlin Christmas Parade comes earlier in 2013
- Company emerges bigger and better in New Berlin