The Waukesha County Park System has more than 25 miles of groomed and tracked cross-country ski trails, sledding hills, and snowshoeing and winter hiking trails.
Cross-country ski trails are located within Menomonee Park, W220-N7884 Townline Road in Menomonee Falls; Minooka Park, 1927 E. Sunset Drive in Waukesha; and Nashotah Park, W330-N5113 County Highway C in Nashotah. Waukesha County will be monitoring the snow conditions regularly in order to make sure the grooming process is started as soon as possible after or during this snow event, parks officials said today. Once trails are packed, the website, www.waukeshacountyparks.com, will be updated.
Snowshoeing opportunities are available throughout the Waukesha County Park System. Fox River Park, W264-S4500 River Road in Waukesha; Muskego Park, S83-W20370 Janesville Road in Muskego; and Retzer Nature Center, S14-W28167 Madison Street in Waukesha, all have trails that are packed for winter hiking or snowshoeing. Snowshoe rentals are available at Retzer Nature Center for $5.50 a half day and $9 for a full day. The smallest size snowshoe is for 45 pounds. Contact Retzer at (262) 896-8007 for information.
Sledding hills are located at Menomonee Park, Minooka Park, Nashotah Park and Mukwonago Park W325-S9945 Beulah Road in Mukwonago.
For snowmobile trail conditions, call the Waukesha County Snowmobile Association's Hotline at (414) 299-0330. For information about snowmobile clubs in the Waukesha area, see the Waukesha County Snowmobile Association's website at www.waukeshasnow.org.
All Waukesha County Parks are open from sunrise to 10 p.m. and a daily park entrance fee or annual sticker is required for all vehicles. The weekday entrance fee is $3 and the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) fee is $5 per car. Annual stickers for 2012 are available for $27 for Waukesha County residents, senior residents for $14, and non-resident annual stickers are available for $38.
If you prefer to head inside, ice skating at Naga-Waukee Park Ice Arena, 2699 Golf Road in Delafield and Eble Park Ice Arena 19400 W. Bluemound Road, Brookfield, is a great option. Admission is $6 for adults and $4.50 for juniors, with $2.50 skate rental. With public skating hours everyday, and extended hours during school breaks, there's no need to worry about getting some winter exercise.
- Gun jams, saving life of clerk during New Berlin gas station robbery
- New Berlin Library offers photo class to 'capture New Berlin'
- New Berlin to almost double its complement of voting machines
- New Berlin Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- New Berlin Library patrons provide beehives, water buffalo to families
- Annual Eisenhower girls soccer charity game to benefit playground
- New Berlin high schools again deemed among state's most challenging
- Second New Berlin 'soccer mom' sentenced to four months in jail for embezzling money from club (2)
- New Berlin Police Blotter: April 28, 2016