New Berlin — Because so many of its students take exams for college level credit and do well on them, New Berlin Eisenhower and New Berlin West middle/high schools came in for a state and a national honor.
Both were recognized as Advanced Placement Pacesetter Schools by the Wisconsin Advanced Placement Advisory Council, and Eisenhower was recognized by U.S. News and World Report as third best in Wisconsin for college readiness. West was ranked fourth.
Pacesetter awards were presented by the council in partnership with Wisconsin Cooperative Educational Services Agencies.
Local schools were recognized for having had more than 30 percent of students take advanced placement college level exams with more than 70 percent scoring at least a three or high enough to win college credit at most universities.
In announcing the awards, the council praised the local high schools for "impressive student AP access and excellence in AP exam scores in the state of Wisconsin."
The honor is based on 2012-13 data, the most recent available. At that time, Eisenhower and West had a combined average of 34 percent of students take AP exams and 76.4 percent score a three or higher.
"Our students' ability to excel in the more than 20 AP courses we offer demonstrates the level of excellence we expect in the School District of New Berlin," Superintendent Joe Garza said in a news release announcing the honor. "Our AP program offers rigorous learning experiences to prepare students at all learning levels for college and careers."
Also based on AP success, both schools were recently honored by U.S. News and World Report for being in the top four Wisconsin high schools in terms of preparing students for college.
Whitefish Bay High School ranked first and Cedarburg High School was second. Rounding out the top 10 in the state for college readiness after New Berlin Eisenhower and West were Arrowhead, Brookfield East, Middleton, Kimberly, Brookfield Central and Nicolet.
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- 11-year-old turns on New Berlin emergency sirens as test
- Most musical Fourth of July ever, coming to New Berlin
- New Berlin to celebrate America and community this Fourth of July
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Event to benefit New Berlin Police canine officer
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego
- New Berlin Holy Apostles Festival to swing into three days of fun
- Muskego Campus News: UW-Whitewater, South Dakota State, Carthage College
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 23, 2016