New Berlin - All four New Berlin elementary schools have earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Energy Star certification, meaning that they are performing in the top 25 percent of similar buildings nationwide for energy efficiency.
Nationally, commercial buildings that earn EPA's Energy Star certification use an average of 35 percent less energy than typical buildings and also release 35 percent less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
The Energy Star schools - Ronald Reagan, Poplar Creek, Orchard Lane and Elmwood elementary - also meet strict energy efficiency performance levels set by the EPA.
"Through this achievement, we have demonstrated our commitment to environmental stewardship while also lowering our energy costs," said Superintendent Joe Garza.
Overall, the New Berlin elementary and secondary schools have saved more than $3 million since the district started an energy management program in 2005, said Roger Bortmann, the district's energy specialist.
"All staff members deserve credit for helping us to achieve our energy goals," Bortmann said.
Employees are asked to follow conservation guidelines, turn their thermostats down at the end of the day, close doors and windows to conserve cool or warm air, report faulty equipment and help out in other ways. Monthly compliance walk-throughs began in fall 2006.
The schools follow program guidelines for daily operation of heating and cooling systems and made cost-effective improvements to buildings.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- New Berlin schools facing $1.35 million structural deficit under walker plan
- New Berlin schools did 'due diligence' in hiring coach: spokeswoman