New Berlin paratrooper, author and community leader dies
Herbert Eggie's long list of accomplishments included formation of tax and environmental groups
New Berlin — Herbert Eggie, who was active in the life of the community for decades, died Jan. 7 at age 98.
Eggie co-founded the New Berlin Taxpayers Alliance in 1987 and served as its president. The alliance later became Citizens for Responsible Government. Eggie also organized the Federation of Wisconsin Taxpayer Organizations in about 1988.
When he started, there were only three taxpayer alliances in the federation — New Berlin, Milwaukee and Racine. But there were 30 groups by the end of the first year. The federation disbanded in 2002.
A noted environmentalist, Eggie was the originator, a charter member and a former president of the New Berlin Land Conservancy, formed in 2006.
New Berlin Mayor Dave Ament knew Eggie well.
"Herb was one of the nicest men I've ever known. I'm proud to have been his friend," Ament said.
Alderman John Fillar, who worked with Eggie in the Taxpayers Alliance, said, "He was a real gentleman a real classy guy."
"He had a good keen mind," said Donald Kristopiet, former Taxpayer Federation president.
Mary Hiebl of the Land Conservancy said a full-page in the newspaper would be needed to list all the accomplishments Eggie fit into one lifetime.
On a wider stage, Eggie was active in a St. Lawrence Seaway group that supported bringing the seaway into existence to enable ships to come into the Great Lakes. And as an attorney, he played a key role through the Wisconsin Bar Association in legislation keeping creditors from garnishing all a person's income and leaving them nothing to live on.
Even at 98, he was called upon by a state conservation organization to help with wetland preservation.
Eggie also was an author and only recently finished publishing his memoirs as a World War II paratrooper in the European Theater. He had previously published an historical novel, "Elena Marikova," focusing on the actual conspiracy against Stalin in the pre-World War II Soviet Union.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app
- New Berlin annual meeting tug-of-war
- New Berlin firefighters present record breaking check to mda
- New Berlin may contract with Waukesha Fire Department for an underserved section of city
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 21, 2014 issue
- Developer uses drone video to demonstrate proposal
- Levy hike predicted for N.B. schools
- Costco moves forward, despite concerns
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue