New Berlin - The annual New Berlin Lions Club parade of checks has topped off $135,000 of donations the club has given during the 2012-13 Lions year.
The money was earned from the New Berlin Lions Wisconsin State Fair Corn Roast Stand, where many recipients also volunteer. Money also was earned from a fundraiser during the three days at the New Berlin Fourth of July picnic at Malone Park.
The single largest share this year went to the Vision Forward Association, which helps local children and adults who are blind or visually impaired live with their handicap. With Lions Clubs internationally concerned with helping the blind, the New Berlin Lions donated $7,500 to Vision Forward.
Closer to home, it awarded $7,000 in scholarships.
Donations of $5,000 each went to the Wisconsin Eye Bank, the Wisconsin Lions Foundation, the Salvation Army, the New Berlin Food Pantry and the Fisher House (offering lodging to the families of military and veterans who are hospitalized at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee), as well as to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Among the other recipients of Lions donations are the New Berlin Historical Society, the New Berlin Soap Box Derby and the New Berlin Swim Club.
Other causes the Lions supported included the leader dog program, the Center for Hearing and Deafness, the Bold recreation program for the blind, the Wisconsin Lions Camp counselors, the Lions Youth Exchange program, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, the Boys and Girls Club of America, Waukesha Memorial Hospital cancer research, Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity, Wisconsin Senior Olympics and organizations aiding those with epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's and addictions.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
- Three days of fun start Friday at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, New Berlin
- Campus News: July 28, 2016
- New emergency center open in New Berlin
- Ralph and Loretta Dolata: 60th wedding anniversary
- Conservation subdivisions help New Berlin keep rural atmophere
- New Berlin officials mull $4.3M utility shop expansion
- Suburban Milwaukee Now websites to get new look, realignment
- 'Aladdin Junior' to be presented one-day only at New Berlin West (1)
- For bravery, smart policing, New Berlin gives awards for 2015 actions
- In brief: Embezzlement charges sought