New Berlin - The annual New Berlin Lions Club parade of checks has topped off $135,000 of donations the club has given during the 2012-13 Lions year.
The money was earned from the New Berlin Lions Wisconsin State Fair Corn Roast Stand, where many recipients also volunteer. Money also was earned from a fundraiser during the three days at the New Berlin Fourth of July picnic at Malone Park.
The single largest share this year went to the Vision Forward Association, which helps local children and adults who are blind or visually impaired live with their handicap. With Lions Clubs internationally concerned with helping the blind, the New Berlin Lions donated $7,500 to Vision Forward.
Closer to home, it awarded $7,000 in scholarships.
Donations of $5,000 each went to the Wisconsin Eye Bank, the Wisconsin Lions Foundation, the Salvation Army, the New Berlin Food Pantry and the Fisher House (offering lodging to the families of military and veterans who are hospitalized at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee), as well as to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Among the other recipients of Lions donations are the New Berlin Historical Society, the New Berlin Soap Box Derby and the New Berlin Swim Club.
Other causes the Lions supported included the leader dog program, the Center for Hearing and Deafness, the Bold recreation program for the blind, the Wisconsin Lions Camp counselors, the Lions Youth Exchange program, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, the Boys and Girls Club of America, Waukesha Memorial Hospital cancer research, Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity, Wisconsin Senior Olympics and organizations aiding those with epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's and addictions.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
- Local lake districts, statewide programs persist in battle against invasive species
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- 11-year-old turns on New Berlin emergency sirens as test
- Most musical Fourth of July ever, coming to New Berlin in 2016
- New Berlin to celebrate America and community in 2016's Fourth of July festivities
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Event to benefit New Berlin Police canine officer
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego
- New Berlin Holy Apostles Festival to swing into three days of fun
- Muskego Campus News: UW-Whitewater, South Dakota State, Carthage College