New Berlin incumbent alderman defeated by former Illinois mayor
Controversial incumbent loses New Berlin post
New Berlin — A former mayor of Elmhurst, Ill., Charles Garrigues upset controversial incumbent Laura Karvala in Tuesday's spring election with 53 percent of the votes cast in New Berlin's 2nd District.
"I'd like to think it was my background and qualifications," Garrigues said, "but I know some people were angry at Laura Karvala for some of the decisions she made."
Karvala herself knows her stand especially that Wilbur Drive should be closed to traffic cutting through the New Berlin City Center hurt her.
"Probably, more than likely," she said on election night. But she doesn't regret her stand, she said.
"I did the best I could and I wouldn't change a vote," she said, even if it would have changed the outcome of the election.
The unofficial vote was:
Charles Garrigues 376
Laura Karvala 330
The results won't be final until the Board of Canvassers meets after the NOW deadline.
Three other aldermen ran for re-election unopposed. They are Ken Harenda, Dennis Horbinski and John Fillar.
The race for two seats on the New Berlin School Board also held an upset for an incumbent. Art Marquardt who has served on the board for nine years came in third with 1,172 votes, after newcomer Amy Crosby who had the strongest showing with an unofficial 1,469 and School Board President David Maxey with 1,314, unofficially.
"I guess one of the key issues that the Common Core should be re-evaluated before implementing it fully across the board," Crosby said. "I think that's on people's minds."
- New emergency center open in New Berlin
- Dolatas' 60th
- Conservation subdivisions help New Berlin keep rural atmophere
- New Berlin officials mull $4.3M utility shop expansion
- sw_peterson announcement_0728
- 'Aladdin Junior' to be presented one-day only at New Berlin West (1)
- For bravery, smart policing, New Berlin gives awards for 2015 actions
- In brief: Embezzlement charges sought
- New Berlin bicyclist killed in collision with semitrailer truck in Pewaukee
- Police ask charges against Muskego man suspected of embezzlement