New Berlin — City approval of a proposed 156,000 square-foot Costco warehouse store in New Berlin could come as early as September, Greg Kessler, community development director, said Monday after the New Berlin Architectural Review Committee reviewed the proposal Monday.
The members-only warehouse merchandise and grocery store is proposed for the northeast corner of Moorland Road and Grange Avenue. It also would have an attached accessory tire center and a freestanding gas station.
"The proposal is consistent with the comprehensive plan for that area," Kessler said. "So far, the feedback we've been getting has been positive."
A public hearing on the rezoning and conditional use permit will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 13 before the Plan Commission, he said. The commission won't vote on a recommendation until September and the common council will need to vote on any zoning change.
Costco officials would like to open the store by August 2015, according to a letter sent to the city. Construction normally takes five or six months.
Costcos offer typical department store merchandise such as clothing, dry goods, appliances, furniture, hardware, auto accessories, grocery store items including baked goods, meats and produce, pharmacy, one-hour photo, hearing aid, optometry and travel services, according to the letter to City Hall.
The store would employ 175 to 200 full- and part-time employees and proposed store hours are 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. weekdays, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays.
Trucks would make deliveries from 5:30 a.m. to noon Mondays through Saturdays and the proposed gas station hours would be 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends.
Currently, there are five Costcos in Wisconsin — Grafton, Pewaukee, Green Bay and two in the Madison area. It has been reported that Costcos also are in the works for Menomonee Falls and Pleasant Prairie.
WHAT: public hearing before the New Berlin Plan Commission on a rezoning and conditional use permit for a Costco warehouse store proposed for Moorland Road and Grange Avenue, New Berlin
WHEN: 6 p.m. Aug. 13
WHERE: New Berlin City Hall, 3805 S. Casper Drive
- Hearing set for West Bend official on charges involving Muskego girl
- Gun jams, saving life of clerk during New Berlin gas station robbery
- New Berlin Library offers photo class to 'capture New Berlin'
- New Berlin to almost double its complement of voting machines
- New Berlin Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- New Berlin Library patrons provide beehives, water buffalo to families
- Annual Eisenhower girls soccer charity game to benefit playground
- New Berlin high schools again deemed among state's most challenging
- Second New Berlin 'soccer mom' sentenced to four months in jail for embezzling money from club (2)