New Berlin - The New Berlin Fire Department won't be back to defend its title as best chili-maker in the second New Berlin Chili Throw Down, sponsored by the New Berlin Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.
Firefighters won the first Chili Throw Down last year but this year have to attend a training session on that day, said chairman Michael Skupien.
The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the New Berlin Community Center, 14750 W. Cleveland Ave. The contestants thus far include four local restaurants, a bank and an insurance company. The Police Department may still join the mix, Skupien said.
Of course, tasters are also needed to determine who makes the best chili. For $5, tasters will sample a small cup of chili about the size of a restaurant salad dressing cup from each contestant. They also can go back for a small bowl of their favorite chili. Proceeds will go to the New Berlin food pantry
Last year, about 90 people came to be tasters.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Character' coach named New Berlin Citizen of the Year
- New Berlin seeks policy for taxing units promoting development
- Fees shoot up for New Berlin recreation swim lessons, pool classes
- New Berlin sets hearing on proposed zero-increase property tax budget
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- No speakers at New Berlin schools' hearing on $5.1 million borrowing
- New Berlin Food Pantry to receive $10,000 from Hormel plant
- Lawyer turned missionary to hold fourth run/walk
- New Berlin CDA approves accessible housing grant program
- Parking lot paving starting any time at New Berlin's Valley View Park