New Berlin - The New Berlin Fire Department won't be back to defend its title as best chili-maker in the second New Berlin Chili Throw Down, sponsored by the New Berlin Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.
Firefighters won the first Chili Throw Down last year but this year have to attend a training session on that day, said chairman Michael Skupien.
The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the New Berlin Community Center, 14750 W. Cleveland Ave. The contestants thus far include four local restaurants, a bank and an insurance company. The Police Department may still join the mix, Skupien said.
Of course, tasters are also needed to determine who makes the best chili. For $5, tasters will sample a small cup of chili about the size of a restaurant salad dressing cup from each contestant. They also can go back for a small bowl of their favorite chili. Proceeds will go to the New Berlin food pantry
Last year, about 90 people came to be tasters.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app
- New Berlin annual meeting tug-of-war
- New Berlin firefighters present record breaking check to mda
- New Berlin may contract with Waukesha Fire Department for an underserved section of city
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 21, 2014 issue
- Developer uses drone video to demonstrate proposal
- Levy hike predicted for N.B. schools
- Costco moves forward, despite concerns
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue