New Berlin - The New Berlin Fire Department won't be back to defend its title as best chili-maker in the second New Berlin Chili Throw Down, sponsored by the New Berlin Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.
Firefighters won the first Chili Throw Down last year but this year have to attend a training session on that day, said chairman Michael Skupien.
The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the New Berlin Community Center, 14750 W. Cleveland Ave. The contestants thus far include four local restaurants, a bank and an insurance company. The Police Department may still join the mix, Skupien said.
Of course, tasters are also needed to determine who makes the best chili. For $5, tasters will sample a small cup of chili about the size of a restaurant salad dressing cup from each contestant. They also can go back for a small bowl of their favorite chili. Proceeds will go to the New Berlin food pantry
Last year, about 90 people came to be tasters.
- In brief: arson, memory, taxes
- Cement gone from sewer, but New Berlin waiting for cash to flow
- Arraignments for New Berlin suspects in two attempted armed robberies
- Weeklong New Berlin playground community build yields wonderland
- Courtyard dedicated to two retiring New Berlin school administrators
- Muskego, New Berlin to salute Memorial Day with observances
- Orange barrels promise better roadways in New Berlin, Muskego
- Muskego, New Berlin schools evaluate transgender guidelines
- New Berlin man faces abuse charges stemming from alleged choking
- New Berlin Police Blotter: May 26, 2016 (1)