New Berlin - The New Berlin Fire Department won't be back to defend its title as best chili-maker in the second New Berlin Chili Throw Down, sponsored by the New Berlin Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.
Firefighters won the first Chili Throw Down last year but this year have to attend a training session on that day, said chairman Michael Skupien.
The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the New Berlin Community Center, 14750 W. Cleveland Ave. The contestants thus far include four local restaurants, a bank and an insurance company. The Police Department may still join the mix, Skupien said.
Of course, tasters are also needed to determine who makes the best chili. For $5, tasters will sample a small cup of chili about the size of a restaurant salad dressing cup from each contestant. They also can go back for a small bowl of their favorite chili. Proceeds will go to the New Berlin food pantry
Last year, about 90 people came to be tasters.
- Hearing set for West Bend official on charges involving Muskego girl
- Gun jams, saving life of clerk during New Berlin gas station robbery
- New Berlin Library offers photo class to 'capture New Berlin'
- New Berlin to almost double its complement of voting machines
- New Berlin Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- New Berlin Library patrons provide beehives, water buffalo to families
- Annual Eisenhower girls soccer charity game to benefit playground
- New Berlin high schools again deemed among state's most challenging
- Second New Berlin 'soccer mom' sentenced to four months in jail for embezzling money from club (2)