New Berlin - The New Berlin Fire Department won't be back to defend its title as best chili-maker in the second New Berlin Chili Throw Down, sponsored by the New Berlin Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.
Firefighters won the first Chili Throw Down last year but this year have to attend a training session on that day, said chairman Michael Skupien.
The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the New Berlin Community Center, 14750 W. Cleveland Ave. The contestants thus far include four local restaurants, a bank and an insurance company. The Police Department may still join the mix, Skupien said.
Of course, tasters are also needed to determine who makes the best chili. For $5, tasters will sample a small cup of chili about the size of a restaurant salad dressing cup from each contestant. They also can go back for a small bowl of their favorite chili. Proceeds will go to the New Berlin food pantry
Last year, about 90 people came to be tasters.
- Three days of fun start Friday at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, New Berlin
- Campus News: July 28, 2016
- New emergency center open in New Berlin
- Ralph and Loretta Dolata: 60th wedding anniversary
- Conservation subdivisions help New Berlin keep rural atmophere
- New Berlin officials mull $4.3M utility shop expansion
- Suburban Milwaukee Now websites to get new look, realignment
- 'Aladdin Junior' to be presented one-day only at New Berlin West (1)
- For bravery, smart policing, New Berlin gives awards for 2015 actions
- In brief: Embezzlement charges sought